March 29, 2024, 01:20:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry and Ap Chem  (Read 3936 times)

Offline BioNo418

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry and Ap Chem
« on: January 23, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
Hello, I'm currently a Junior in High School and I was wondering about Chem and AP Chem. Currently I am taking regular Chemistry and I was wondering if taking AP chem next year is a possibility for the 4 Science units I am require to take.

Should I take AP Chem next year?
And Would it be as easy as regular chem? :) :) ;)

Thank you.

~BioNo418

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Chemistry and Ap Chem
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:24:28 PM »
AP chem would be harder then normal chem; but since you already have covered basic chemistry it should not be too hard. Probably just a little more algebra.  As if it will count for the 4 "science units", that depends on your school, and local codes and such. Just ask your teachers. And depending on your school, instructors, and funding the labs can be way way more fun and exciting; as well as educational!

If you like chemistry, and think you want to study it in college, take the AP chem, work really hard, and do good on the placement test and you can skip the first year of freshman chemistry if you want to (though it would not hurt you to take the first year of chem courses to get easy A's while you take some of the other required classes). Your choice.

Offline BioNo418

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:26:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I guess taking it next year and freshmen year in college will be a cake.

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 08:21:14 AM »
Just don't take AP unless you're sure you will do well on the AP exam.  If you don't get a reasonable score (from 0-5; if I can remember correctly, a 3 is average, a 4 is good, and a 5 is exceptional) on the exam, you took the class for nothing.  Well, not for nothing exactly.  You get more detail, but no credit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:15:22 PM by k.V. »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:00:11 PM »
Ask people who already took the class. The teacher plays an important role in whether or not the class is hard/you understand the material.

Also, there are books out there to help you with the AP exam the various AP classes. Some people have told me their really helpful.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:06:02 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline akukla

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 01:08:12 PM »
I'm thinking of doing something like that also, as I'm only in the regular chem class ( I couldn't make the Honors class because of my Algebra I grade for freshman year). I'm a junior right now and I love chem, I talk to most of the teachers from the science department after school and in study halls and I've done very well in all my science courses ( 97 average as a freshman for Earth Science, 89 in Honors Biology Sophomore year, and a 95 in Chemistry right now), so I think I could convince them to let me take AP Chem as a senior in place of one of study halls. I know that my school's AP Chem class does ALOT more labs than the non-AP class, and I think I could handle the workload. Any idea what colleges would have to think about someone taking chem two years in a row, I think it would look good personally, although sometimes colleges have funny ways of looking at things?

Sponsored Links