March 28, 2024, 07:12:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrofluoric acid & ammonium bifluoride  (Read 10906 times)

Victory

Hydrofluoric acid & ammonium bifluoride
« on: December 01, 2004, 10:15:39 AM »
I need an expert opinion about one question.
I'm working in a consulting company in Russia. And we faced with the project about chemical factory. Our client was producing hydrofluoric acid and now thinking about replace this production with production of ammonium bifluoride. In this case it is not a mater of safety, but they think that it is easier for transportation, storage and use because ABF is dry. What do you think about this?
And another question. I wonder is ABF and HF totaly interchangeable or they have some different characteristics.
Thank in advance for help.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 10:16:33 AM by Victory »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Hydrofluoric acid & ammonium bifluoride
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 01:06:18 PM »
I don't know about ABF. But HF is one of the most dangerous chemicals to work with, it will eventually eat through anything.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Demotivator

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 03:32:44 PM »
I agree ABF is easier to transport and store and use mostly because one is not instantly exposed to hazardous fumes in case of spills etc.
ABF and HF are mostly, though not totally interchangeable. ABF produces HF (as well as NH4F) in water but the concentration of HF is less than one would get from HF itself. That might be ok for most purposes (like commercial cleaning).

Victory

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 02:50:56 AM »
And what about using for producing Fluorocarbons, aluminium, glass, alkylation catalyst, metal etching, uranium fuel processing? Is it possible to use in all these areas ABF instead of HF?

Sponsored Links