April 30, 2024, 04:55:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Setting up a Home Lab (Questions about ventilation and disposal)  (Read 9164 times)

Offline akukla

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Hi guys (and girls too),
I've been thinking of setting up a small lab in my garage for a while, and recently I've taken the first steps, clearing out space, putting up some shelves and procuring some reasonably priced glassware. My question for you guys is that of safety. I'm on a rather low budget, and I would like to devise a fume hood/ventilation system that would get rid of any toxic vapors or flammable gases that may be produced (albeit on a small-scale) by relatively simple experiments. I'm talking about stuff like SO2, Cl2, solvent vapors, nothing extremely dangerous. I'm also wondering what the best way to dispose of waste products would be. (Although to be honest I plan to try to make the most of what I have and avoid having to throw anything away due to my budget).
If you could answer any of these questions I would sincerely appreciate it.
Thank you

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Setting up a Home Lab (Questions about ventilation and disposal)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 09:07:51 PM »
This is a question I like and do not recall it being discussed here to any extent. I will scout around the citizen science arena and see if I come up with something. In the meantime let us hope someone here can share some ideas.

The idea of a fume hood is several fold. As implied by its name, it is used to keep unwanted fumes away. But, if you look at many of the designs, you will see that it also protects you from being spattered on as well.

One has to note that many of the chemistry kits now days do stuff on a micro scale, thus minimizing hazards.

My first thought was to find a discarded overhead oven/stove vent hood, but I am not sure that would be sufficient even in a small home lab.

While I am looking maybe others will post.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 11:39:06 PM »
If you have access to a window, you can just put a box fan in the window, blowing out. Make sure to crack a window or door on the other side of the room so you can get an good current to flow. Obviously do anything that might produce the dangerous gases in front of the window/fan.

Just make sure there is plenty of clear space on the outside of the window and there is not a chance of somebody standing in front of the fan, etc.

Offline akukla

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 11:50:43 PM »
I like the idea of using an old stove hood, although it might take a while to procure one, and I share your concerns about it lacking strength.

The box fan idea got me to thinking about modifying one of these 2' round exhaust fans I have that are used for moving air around a room under construction. I do have a window above where I was thinking of putting the lab bench, so I could weld up some kind of box that would hold one of the fans. This would actually work quite well providing I opened one of the other windows to provide cross-ventilation.
The fans are adjustable speed, and at full speed move alot of air, certainly far more than a normal box fan. This seems to be a good solution, as it is alot cheaper and it would move more air than the stove hood. The only downfall is that it won't protect against splatter like bill mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully I can find the time to weld something up and post pictures.

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 12:25:58 AM »
If you also want splatter protection, then just go to your local home center and buy a sheet of Acrylic glass (plexiglass) for less then $30 and make your self a "super sneeze guard" . If you have old drawer slides (or buy some cheap ones at the home center) you can easily make it slide up and down out of the way.

Offline akukla

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »
Hmm, that would be a nice thing to have later on down the road. At least for now I need to concern myself with clearing garage space, ordering supplies, and building ventilation. I like the idea of using sliding plexiglass, and I will probably use a similar setup once I build it.

Anyone have any tips about disposal of wastes?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 06:53:20 PM »
Another way to make a "fume hood" would be to construct a surface not unlike the top of an air-hockey table (ie. a surface with many little evenly spaced pinprick holes in it) but instead of blowing air up it would suck air down through the surface.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:09:09 PM by mike »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »
Another way to make a "fume hodd" would be to construct a surface not unlike the top of an air-hockey table (ie. a surface with many little evenly spaced pinprick holes in it) but instead of blowing air up it would suck air down through the surface.

Which reminds me.

Ion-Exchange resin + table = stuff glides like a air-hockey table!

If you have excess of it, it is great for pulling pranks on people; just do not put it on the floor. It is however hilarious to spread it out on a table (a color near that of the resin beads, so they can not be seen easily) then watch unsuspecting people sit stuff on the table and watch things just magicly appear to "float" away.

Good times.

Sponsored Links