April 23, 2024, 03:02:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: radial wave function  (Read 10669 times)

Offline endeavor

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
radial wave function
« on: January 27, 2007, 07:00:38 PM »
"(a) Use the radial wave function for the 3p orbital of a hydrogen atom (see Table 15.2) to calculate the value of r for which a node exists.
(b) Find the values of r for which nodes exist for the 3s wave function of the hydrogen atom."

For part a, I looked at Table 15.2 and found the equation R3p = 4/(81*square root of 6) * (Z/a0)^(3/2) * (6*sigma - sigma2) exp (-sigma/3)
where sigma = Z*r/a0  and  a0 = 0.529 * 10^-10m

1. Does exp (-sigma/3) mean raise (6*sigma - sigma2) to the (-sigma/3) power?

2. What exactly does the value of R3p represent?

3. To solve this problem do I set R3p to 0 and solve for r?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: radial wave function
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
1. Does exp (-sigma/3) mean raise (6*sigma - sigma2) to the (-sigma/3) power?

More likely e-sigma/3
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

allanf

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 01:01:01 PM »
When writing the wavefunction for a hydrogen atom using spherical coordinates you can break the wave function into two main parts: the angular part and the radial part.  R3p is the part of the wavefunction that depends only on the distance from the nucleus.  This is the part of the wavefunction where nodes show up.

Since you are looking for nodes, you are looking for the distance out from the center where the probability density is zero, not the wavefunction.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »
When writing the wavefunction for a hydrogen atom using spherical coordinates you can break the wave function into two main parts: the angular part and the radial part.  R3p is the part of the wavefunction that depends only on the distance from the nucleus.  This is the part of the wavefunction where nodes show up.

Nodes can also show up in the angular wave function.  For example, for the pz orbital, the xy-plane is a node.

Since you are looking for nodes, you are looking for the distance out from the center where the probability density is zero, not the wavefunction.

Since the probability density = |?|2, setting the wavefunction equal to zero is equivalent to setting the probability density to zero.  But it is important that you realize that a node is defined as having zero probability of finding an electron at that radius, and not as the wavefunction having zero amplidute at that radius.

Sponsored Links