April 29, 2024, 02:13:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry with life  (Read 5461 times)

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
Chemistry with life
« on: January 28, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »
Why can you use salt water to wash vegetables before cooking ;D
Genius is a long patience

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Chemistry with life
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:45:05 PM »
To get rid of dirt on the vegetables. Also vegetables may have been handled alot before you bought them so it is common practice to wash vegetables before using them. Especially salad leaves, which can be washed then spun dry in a salad spinner before tossing and dressing.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline vhpk

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 11:55:10 PM »
To get rid of dirt on the vegetables. Also vegetables may have been handled alot before you bought them so it is common practice to wash vegetables before using them. Especially salad leaves, which can be washed then spun dry in a salad spinner before tossing and dressing.
Yeah, but I think you should tell more details, about the way how it does, because this is not only belonged to chemistry but also physics( I think so;D)

Offline vhpk

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 05:01:20 AM »
In the lab, do you think Al will react with CuSO4 ? Why, ;D

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »
First, no offense, but I'm starting to notice you topics/posts aren't very coherent. Your jumping around in questions and ideas. This can make it difficult to help you.

In the lab, do you think Al will react with CuSO4 ? Why, ;D

Look at a reactivity series table. Is Al higher than Cu?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »
vhpk, your posts have a tendence to regard this forum as a quiz; I am not here to prove I can do these things; I have more things to do with my time.

If you need help be specific on what you dont understand and show any attempts at solutions. Then I am more than willing to try and help you - not just to solve questions, but to get you to understand how to do something and why.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 07:59:07 PM »
In regards to DevaDevil's comment...

A lot of the regulars here are undergrads, graduate students, or already have a degree of some type in a field of chemistry. That means that they know or are learning advanced topics in chemistry.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:10:45 PM »
In what sense was it in regard to my comment, ct?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 08:18:45 PM »
Oops. I forgot to add the part that most people have already long learnt the topics involved with the question(s) which makes it redundant for them to spend time being requized. I've been so tired lately, and lapsing in thought. Either way DevaDevil, your comment spurred my comment.

Offline vhpk

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 06:22:47 AM »
Oh,no, I've joined some chemical forum in my country, I think that all of you understand the problem wrongly. I recognized that I made some problem, but not to prove me good, I want to involve to the reality, I only want to share my knowledge and experience to another. I don't have any degrees because I'm only 15. I didn't made quiz, please understand for my effort. :-[

Sponsored Links