April 16, 2024, 06:46:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fuels  (Read 7238 times)

WARRAVEN

Fuels
« on: January 04, 2005, 10:45:03 AM »
I'm doing a project for forensics, and I want to do something with fire and chemistry. My best guess is the reaction of several fuels so far. Any ideas on some sources? I'm searching around and I've found the common stuff like wood and butane, but I want to find some stuff less common, any ideas? Thanks!

Raven  8)

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Fuels
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 02:06:57 PM »
Well, being a project for forensics, you'd probably want to look into the fuels generally used in cases of Arson.  You would then analyze the remnants on an NMR and/or a GC/MS to see traces of whatever fuel was used to start the fire.  You're best bet would then be to use substances that are readily available to a criminal.  Things like acetone, gasoline, mineral spirits, paint solvents, or various other 'chemical' products you would purchase at a hardware store or auto parts store are what a typical arsonist would use.  These 'fuels' would also leave a pretty typical signature that can be seen on NMR and GC/MS machines.  You could do a series of tests where you would take a small amount of each fuel and use it to burn different pieces of a large sheet of plywood.  (This way your 'combustable' would be the same throughout and provide a standard for you).  After each piece has been burned, you would collect the ashes/remnants and store it in a tightly sealed, labelled container.  For each fuel, you would run the unburnt fuel through an NMR and GC/MS to get the spectra of the unburnt product as a standard, then you would run the tests on the burnt plywood remnants and try and compare the burnt and unburnt spectra of each fuel.  

Other compounds you could use for this would be explosive materials, but the licenses you would need to acquire the materials and the dangers involved with the detonations really aren't something that people outside of the industry should be doing.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

WARRAVEN

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 10:21:03 AM »
Hmm... that sounds about right, but what are these NMR and GC/MS machines?

Raven  8)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 12:33:15 PM »
NMR won't work out.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 10:25:32 PM »
NMR won't work out.

Ah yes.  I was at work and had a brain fart.  I had meant IR Spectroscopy.

GC/MS is Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry.  It's a very advanced and very specific analysis technique which can detect very minute concentrations of a compound and also positively identify.  I think that every single College/University in the world has one.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:27:08 PM by jdurg »
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links