April 18, 2024, 05:25:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CaO from Calcium Carbonate  (Read 7860 times)

Offline mafiaparty303

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
CaO from Calcium Carbonate
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:00:57 PM »
On a site posted from the Buy and Sell Chemicals on this site it says that CaO can be produced by heating Calsium Carbonate at about 800 C or higher, would this be a harmless procedure or are there any harmful things that could come of it? Im guessing all you would get is CaO and CO2.

Also... How pure is the Muractic Acid you can buy as Pool Acid at some hardware stores? Are there any additives or is it purly a like, 36% HCl water solution? Does anyone know?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:29:38 PM by mafiaparty303 »
www.lafamillemasse.com/pierre/smart_people.htm
Join the Smart People for a better future!
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
Re: CaO from Calcium Carbonate
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »
On a site posted from the Buy and Sell Chemicals on this site it says that CaO can be produced by heating Calsium Carbonate at about 800 C or higher, would this be a harmless procedure or are there any harmful things that could come of it? Im guessing all you would get is CaO and CO2.

I think the only drawback is the temperature you need: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcination

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:19:48 PM »
I went out to the naturl foods store around here to buy some distilled water, and a glass bottle with a dropper where I will store my HCl in small amounts when I get it, at the store I also found a salt substitute, Potassium Chloride. I remember that in my chemistry class the teacher took (i think it was potassium chloride) and melted it over a bunsen burner in a test tube, after it had just melted she took a gummy bear and dropped it inside and this brilliant white/purple light appeared from the reaction of the two. Was this potassium chloride? And does anyone know the explaination for that reaction?

Thanks
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »
Could it have been Potassium Chlorate? instead of Chloride?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 09:04:07 PM »
Could it have been Potassium Chlorate? instead of Chloride?

Yes, it was.  I absolutely guarantee it.  KCl is not an oxidizer and does not have the ability to oxidize the sugars in a gummy bear.  KClO3 is sufficiently strong enough as an oxidizer to oxidize the sugars into carbon dioxide.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:22:40 PM »
Ok thank, Ya today I had a little...situation... I took some sugar, and KNO3 and mixed both separatly in a mortar and then mixed the two while I was putting some on this piece of paper that was burning the stick had caught on fire or some embers and when i went to scoop somemore the whole mixture caught on fire AHH!!!!!, close call i was able to throw it down and no one got hurt, and it washed off the glass bowl cleanly.... ;DWont try that again.

(I've done this before (making the mixture) but never had any problems like the one I had)

I bought an alcohol burner from United Nuclear,  do those just run on alcohol like isopropyl or ethanol alcohol? Which would be the best for the purpose of chemistry?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:03:57 AM by mafiaparty303 »
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:58 PM »
I think either will work. They are both really flammable, and will travel up a wick.

Personally, I think ethanol may be the better choice though because I think isopropanol will evaporate easier (at least in my experience).
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:15:45 PM »
Ethanol that is denatured with methanol may be the cheapest.

Offline joeflsts

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Ten fingers.. ten toes... PHEW!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
Run by Home Depot and pick up some denatured alcohol.  It will work great in your burner.

Joe

Sponsored Links