March 29, 2024, 02:16:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Differences in properties in terms of differences in structure an bonding  (Read 3510 times)

Offline polyphonics

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi,

I'm doing some past exam questions for my chemistry class and have a question on this one:

"Experimental data provide the basis for interpreting differences in properties of substances:
Question: Account for the differences in properties given in terms of differences in structure and bonding in each of the following pairs.

*MgCl2 and SiCl4
     SiCl4:: Melting point: -70C, Electrical Conductivity of Molten State 0ohm-1
     MgCl2:: Melting Point: 714C Electrical Conductivity of Molten State >20ohm-1

*MgCl2 and MgF2
     MgF2:: Melting Point: 1,261C Electrical Conductivity of Molten State: >20ohm-1
     MgCl2:: Melting Point: 714 Electrical Conductivity of Molten State: >20ohm-1 

*F2 and N2
     F2:: Bond Length (angstroms): 1.42
     N2:: Bond Length (angstroms): 1.09

*F2 and Br2
     F2:: Bond Length (angstroms): 1.42
     Br2:: Bond Length (angstroms): 2.28

I asked the teacher about this one, and she wasn't very willing to help =(.  I had tried the explanation of the differences of character using the differences in electronegativity, but the question doesn't ask for that.  Thanks. 

PS-Attached is the OCR version of the question (.RTF) if that makes it easier to read--I was too lazy to make HTML tables :O)
2nd-If this is a repost, sorry =(!  I submitted it, but it never showed up on the forum in which I intended it to be placed.

Sponsored Links