April 24, 2024, 08:28:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anybody know of any chemical to reduce operating temperatures of aluminum engine  (Read 6755 times)

its38

It seems to make sense to me that most engine coolants readily available today were designed years ago when most engine blocks were made from cast iron.  Nowadays many engines are made from aluminum and it would seem that the coolant being used could benefit by being designed to take advatage of the type of metal that was being used.  Any thoughts on this?

Corvettaholic

Ah! engine stuff, I love this kind of topic. I don't think its so much the metal type the coolant is working on that matters, as opposed to how efficient the coolant is. I guess the best thing to focus on is giving thermodynamics a hand with how fast the coolant can absorb and release energy. I'm pretty sure water is the best coolant you can get, but without antifreeze to raise the boiling point, your water pressure will get too high and can blow off your radiator cap or damage the cooling system. I ran straight water in my old firebird back in the day, and it stayed plenty cool until I let it idle for half an hour in Phoenix summer. Heard a loud pop and then a lot of white smoke. Coolant EVERYWHERE. Then again, it was a crappy radiator cap...

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
I think Aluminium has a lower specific heat capacity than Iron. If you want to improve engine efficiency via coolent, you would definitely need a much better coolent. As of now, water is still the best and most reliable coolent available.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Corvettaholic

I'm sure you could use something exotic to carry heat, but the problem with that is running whatever you use through a standard water pump. It probably won't like it too much and either corrode, react badly, or choke. I like aluminum heads though cause they dissipate heat a lot better than iron ones. Therefore I can run at least a point higher in my compression ratio  ;D

xALmoN

how about ethylene glycol? might want to try methanol as well.. otherwise i think water is still the best.. has a higher heat capacity than most commons liquids i know of. cheapest too.

Corvettaholic

ethylene glycol = antifreeze

for best cooling just stick with water. I saw this stuff labeled 'water wetter' for sale in a summit racing catalog, and supposedly it makes your water work better as a coolant. something where it works its way into the rough areas of your cylinder heads 'better'. hm.

steavson

what are the chemicals used in coolent and how is it made  :)please mail to steavson@yahoo.com

Corvettaholic

Its ethylene glycol. Kind like green sugar water, but don't drink it! Just grab it from autozone or something. Does anyone know how to make this stuff from scratch?

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!

Sponsored Links