April 24, 2024, 09:58:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I have a Question!!!!!!  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Magic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I have a Question!!!!!!
« on: February 04, 2007, 04:57:31 AM »
Ive mentioned before that i am a magic and experimenting with chemistry for a various number of effects..

I want to be able to have a glass of water in my hands and make the water bubble furiously as though it is boiling???  How would i do this?

I know that if you mix water and pure sodium (high school chem, long time... so cut me some slack if this is incorrect..) the sodium will hav this reaction...

Any ideas or suggestion guys?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: I have a Question!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 12:28:22 PM »
Sometime long ago and far away you may have seen a chemistry demonstration where some sodium was put in water and it bubbled.
The following items you may have failed to notice.
The beaker holding the water was in a ring stand so that the exothermic reaction would not sear the lab table or cook the demonstrator’s hand.
The amount of sodium was miniscule to prevent a substantial explosion rather than some vigorous bubbling.
The demonstrator was wearing gloves, goggles and lab coat, plus did it far away from everyone so no one would be spattered with the resultant highly caustic solution.
There were various emergency devices nearby in case of accident (fire extinguisher, first aid kit, emergency shower, counter acting compounds, etc).
The sodium was in a container of oil and was picked up with a set of tongs since it is reactive with air and peoples hands.

Personally I would suggest not using sodium. I know safety is always dull and boring, but I thought I mention this in case someone is interested.

Maybe you could use some slight of hand, vinegar and baking soda.

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 07:28:50 PM »
Use a solvent with a low boiling point instead of water :)

Offline Brady

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »
I heard that rats can take breath with fluorocarbon for 2-3 minutes. So their lungs can breath liquid. Is it true? (Sorry for grammar mistakes)

Sponsored Links