March 28, 2024, 08:30:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HCl question  (Read 43903 times)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: HCl question
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »
Many labs have a emergency shower with a ring you pull down on. If you were a lab coat, it is the first thing to disintegrate. Otherwise be prepared to be nakid.

:)

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
I've always been a little afraid of something horrible happening in the lab.  I would really hate to have to strip in front of everyone I work with.   :-[

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »
I've always been a little afraid of something horrible happening in the lab.  I would really hate to have to strip in front of everyone I work with

You would definitely want to strip if you spilled large amounts of acid on yourself. Who cares if you have to get naked, at least you won't burn yourself. I once heard of a guy who spilled some sort of acid on himself and refused to strip down past his underpants because he was embarrassed, needless to say he severely burnt his manhood, which could have been avoided by stripping.

How will I stay safe? Hmm.. I'll start by not pouring the big one gallon jug over my arms, wear some goggles and everythign else i described up there ^^^^ in my last post.

I think the most important thing is to protect your eyes. Many people in Australia have lost their eyesight using swimming pool acid because they don't realise the risks involved. Usually long pants, closed shoes, long sleeves, lab coat and goggles along with the dishwashing gloves described by Borek should be enough. I would certainly not store the gallon container near the trash, that is a bad idea. Store it locked in a shed, preferebly on some sort of acid proof shelf or tray.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline mafiaparty303

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:45 PM »
Ok, what would be an alternative? Because I don't really have a shed to store it and I went out and bought some today with my parents. This brings me to another questions. On the contents list it says 29% HCl 71% Inert Ingredients

What do they mean by Inert Igredients?

Thanks.
www.lafamillemasse.com/pierre/smart_people.htm
Join the Smart People for a better future!
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
Ok, what would be an alternative? Because I don't really have a shed to store it and I went out and bought some today with my parents. This brings me to another questions. On the contents list it says 29% HCl 71% Inert Ingredients

Thanks.

Probably unpurified water.

Just store it some place where  there is no possibility of somebody knocking it over, or some animal. Also clearly label that it is hazardous.

And do a small test on the gloves you are using and make sure they are acid resistant. Nothing worse then expecting something to protect you and it does not!

Now, what are you going to do with all this acid? Got any good experiment ideas?

Also, Pop Quiz:
Which is more safer and why should you not do the other?
Add Acid to Water
Or
Add Water to Acid?

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
Acid into water, I'm in Honors Chemistry 10th grade. And I've had my fare share of close calls with dangerous stuff in my years...mostly to do with fire. But ya I was thinking about that...cutting up some of the glove matterial and submerging it in the acid to see if it dissolves or what not.
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 08:45:47 PM »

Kind of depends where you live I guess. When you said to store it with the trash cans I imagine that being outside in the yard where possibly anyone (little children, pets) could get hold of it. It needs to be somewhere away from children and pets, clearly labelled as acid and labelled that it is dangerous. Any utility cabinet, closet, locker etc will work, as long as it is away from food, kids etc etc.

29% is almost concentrated. the 71% is most likely just water.

~~oops enahs got in ahead of me sorry~~
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »
well no little children in my house, only me and my mom once my dad goes back to Canada, plus we have a gate to our back yard. And my dog would be the only one then...so ya im gonna look for another place.
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 09:49:32 PM »
How about a lockable storage cabinet that has vents?
Then the shed would work I guess.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »
Teflon tape like crazy the cap. That may cut down on leaking fumes.

Another thing about it being outside is sunlight. I would imagine that if the bottle warmed up the fuming would increase, and there would be greater pressure on the bottle causing greater chance of leakage. This may be paranoia/speculation, but you never can be too safe.

With the HCl you may want to consider making various chloride salts. Then perform some flame tests. Those are always fun, and can be pretty cool.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 10:05:15 PM »
ya I was thinking about that, what are some nice things I can mix with the HCl for some flame tests and other experiments in general?
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 10:10:16 PM »
Copper salts are cool, and so are lithium salts.

The wikipedia article on the flame test may be a good start for ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_test

When I did the flame test last, I was just handed various metal salts can told to have fun (ok actually to observe and try to identify an unknown).
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 10:17:09 PM »
Is it Ok, if I dont have a bunsen burner? I have an alcohol burner that goes on isopropyl 90%
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline mafiaparty303

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 01:53:32 AM »
Have some questions about HCl, first off what is up with being safe to wear contacts, I know its unsafe but what specifically happens? I heard its like eye spasms why how? How low should I bring the concentration by from 29% to what? 10%? 3%? A good experimentation concentrate would be good.

NaHCO3 + HCl --> NaCl + H2O + CO2   is that right? Its just a guess.
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 03:24:00 AM »
NaHCO3 + HCl --> NaCl + H2O + CO2   is that right? Its just a guess.
Try and balance this reaction.
AWK

Sponsored Links