April 27, 2024, 07:31:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Equilibrium concentration  (Read 9161 times)

Offline Tesiacoil

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical Equilibrium concentration
« on: February 12, 2007, 10:09:21 PM »
I can't for the life of me remember how to calculate the equilibrium concentrations of a specific species in a reaction when all I'm given is the temp, Kc, and the expression.

At 80 C , Kc= 1.87 x 10^-3 for the reaction

PH3BCl3(s)<--->PH3(g)+BCl3(g)

Now, I know the solid isn't included in the equilibrium expressions. So, anyone that remembers first year chemistry, I could really use your help. This is simple, I know it is, but my mind is going completely blank.

It says to calculate the eq concetrations of PH3 and BCl3 if a solid sample of PH3BCl3 is placed in a closed vessel and decomposes until equilibrium is reached,

Thankyou for anyone that can help. And I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm desperate.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Chemical Equilibrium concentration
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:55:01 AM »
Well, the first step is to write the expression for the equilibrium constant:

Kc = [PH3][BCl3]

Where the [PH3] denotes the concentration of PH3 at equilibrium and the [BCl3] denotes the concentration of BCl3 at equilibrium.  As you correctly noted, the concentration of the solid is not included in the expression for Kc because the concentration of a solid is not going to change throughout the course of the reaction.  Now, all you need to do is to figure out a relationship between [PH3] and [BCl3], and then you'll have all the information you need to solve the problem.

Sponsored Links