March 28, 2024, 12:21:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: switching phase with HPLC  (Read 3399 times)

Offline welsh_Ajo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
switching phase with HPLC
« on: February 12, 2007, 09:55:36 AM »
I have an Agilent 1100 series HPLC with a binary pump system, at the moment I am only using standard reverse phase  solvents such as MeOH AcCN and water. I want to run a hexane 2-propanol gradient for the separation of cis trans isomers. I am receiving very mixed opinions over weater the pump will take such non-polar solvents. Someone has told me that the solvents will swell up seals in the Pump and that I will need to change these seals prior to running. Others say the Agilent 1100 series pump will have no such problems.

Can anyone answer this for definite

I should note the pump has had no modification.

Offline chiralic

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • Test
Re: switching phase with HPLC
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 08:46:42 PM »
The piston seals for your Agilent 1100 are made of polyethylene blend (resistant to almost all HPLC solvents) and run well for hexane/Propanol using isocratic or gradient mode. When you use very strong organic solvents like pure methylene cloride and toluene you can reduce life of your seals. Also, there are a "few" solvents for which Teflon seals are more suitable.

Depending on HPLC use, you could change your piston seals every 4-6 months to minimize
pump downtime.

Suggestion: Read your Operator Manual of your Agilent 1100, normally you find information about what DO or DON'T with your HPLC system
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:56:12 PM by chiralic »

Sponsored Links