April 24, 2024, 12:11:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the origin of numbers?  (Read 15247 times)

Offline mechMA

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
  • up and atom
What is the origin of numbers?
« on: February 15, 2007, 06:22:04 PM »
Well this is a tough one.

Whats your philosophy on this one?
If you have no standard, try this:

look at something in the room that there is more than one of, and try to describe how many there are with out using numbers, and you can only use words.
hard to do isn't it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:28:05 PM by mechMA »

Offline mafiaparty303

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What is the origin of numbers?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »
there is a paper clip infront of me...there is another next to it,....and another....and another....
www.lafamillemasse.com/pierre/smart_people.htm
Join the Smart People for a better future!
-Founded by Pierre Masse

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 02:57:29 AM »
About 3yo daughter of my friend have seen sheeps for the first time of her life. "Mom, see, sheep! Second! second! second! ..."
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:15:55 PM »
1 word: Necessity.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 01:07:57 AM »
The two ways to count numbers is by the typical numerical digits and also by recognizing patterns. If you are using your brain to count numbers, but also need to count an other set of numbers the only way to do it is to block the second set of numbers into patterns and group them. Oddly enough, I know this because I've done it for recreation and in the lab.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »
From the point of view of pure mathematics:

Numbers are parts of an algebra which we have adopted to describe physical phenomena quantitatively.  In mathematics, algebras are sets of elements (numbers) equipped with one or more binary operations (e.g. addition and multiplication) and a set of axioms which completely define the properties of the algebra.  These abstract algebras can then be applied to describe the quantitative aspects of physical phenomena.  For example, the natural numbers (1,2,3,...) are a good algebra to describe counting (e.g. how many fingers am I holding up, how many apples are on the tree).  Similarly, the real numbers are a good algebra for describing continuous measurements and the complex numbers are good for describing waves (e.g. electromagnetic radiation).  Algebras can also be used to describe phenomena that we do not normally associate with "numbers", for example, we use groups to describe symmetry operations and we use vector spaces to describe quantum mechanical operators.

Of course, here's a good philosophical question:  did mathematicians invent these algebras to describe physical phenomena, or did these algebras exist a priori and mathematicians discovered them?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 01:27:05 AM »
Nobel committees do not consider Mathematics as a discovery science.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 06:09:16 AM »
it comes from history, just like language. over time it built up into the gigantic numeral system that wraps itself around virtually everything today
one learns best by teaching

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 12:51:34 PM »
Nobel committees do not consider Mathematics as a discovery science.

I would disagree.  For example, a lot of work has been done to elucidate the structure of prime numbers.  Of course, mathematicians have had to invent various tools to probe the structure of primes (such as the Riemann zeta function), but I would argue that the information obtained through these methods have been discoveries.  Mathematicians did not invent these properties of prime numbers; rather, they discovered them.  As an analogy, chemists study the structure of natural products.  They use tools that they have invented (organic synthesis, NMR, crystallography), but these tools just help to aid in the elucidation of the structures of their compounds of interest.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 11:54:13 PM »
Yggdrasil, you have a very good point. I agree with you.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 04:43:27 AM »
I think what Mitch refers to is simply the fact that there is no Nobel in math.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 01:51:17 PM »
I think what Mitch refers to is simply the fact that there is no Nobel in math.

I think they call it the Fields Medal.

It is quite hard to justify numbers or mathematics is really a science in its own right because unlike the physical sciences, there is no physical effect. In fact, mathematics has evolved a long time to describe physical phenomena and financial accounting such that it is a tool that we can no longer live without. An extension of mathematics would be Computer Science. Is Computer Science a science in its own right or is it a systematic experiment to automate logic on a machine?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links