April 28, 2024, 11:30:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What bio elective should I take?  (Read 5672 times)

Offline shell52080

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
What bio elective should I take?
« on: February 19, 2007, 10:28:35 PM »
I'm having a hard time picking out what biology elective I should take in the fall. I want to take either genetics or cell physiology. I'd rather do genetics because it doesn't have a lab, but would cell physiology be easier. I'm good at math/calculus and chemistry. Any suggestions?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: What bio elective should I take?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:50:36 PM »
What level are these classes?  High school?  Lower division (introductory university course)?  Upper division (advanced university course)?  What kind of topics are covered by each course?

My first recommendation would be to take whatever is more interesting to you.  An "easy" course may not end up being so easy if you are completely bored with it an unmotivated to study it.

Offline shell52080

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:10:36 AM »
Good point about the being motivated part. The courses are undergraduate at my university. Genetics is more interesting to me. Physics was also interesting to me until I took it in college. Now I hate physics. I just don't want that to happen again.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 01:02:11 AM »
Without a knowledge of the curricula of each course, I wouldn't be able to judge which will be easier, though having a good understanding of both math and chemistry will help in both classes.  A lot of the times, how easy/interesting the class is depends on the professor.  It might be a good idea to take a look at who is teaching then ask some of your classmates how the professors are.

Offline ladygnat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:51:26 AM »
Take genetics! I wish I would've taken genetics instead of from cell to organism...It's just not that interesting to me.  But that's me, not you.  And my poor biology professor....he had to deal with me when he was going over the chemistry part at the very beginning first couple of weeks....

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 01:29:11 PM »
If you find genetics more interesting, take that, motivation is the key.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links