April 16, 2024, 05:51:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chlorine + vinegar  (Read 4535 times)

booboo74

chlorine + vinegar
« on: December 05, 2004, 12:54:49 AM »
I put about 1/2 gallon each of bleach and vinegar in my water softenter, along with 80 pounds of salt, before I knew that this could cause a chemical reaction or make chlorine gas. Now I want to know if there's something I can put in there to neutralize it so I don't have to empty it out by hand and breathe any more of the fumes?  Thanks.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:chlorine + vinegar
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 03:06:50 PM »
Typically, washers can only be filled with water to a certain level. So take a garden hose or anything and stick it into the washer and run water into the washer. After many hours it should be safe to breathe, make sure to keep the room ventillated when you do this.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:chlorine + vinegar
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 09:18:46 PM »
A little NaOH will also bring the pH of the solution way back up which will cause the chlorine gas to reform the hypochlorite ion.  The chlorine was generated because the pH was lowered.  By raising it back up, you'll shift the equillibrium to the point where the chlorine gas is not favored, and the hypochlorite ion is.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links