March 29, 2024, 04:59:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: organic chemistry  (Read 4876 times)

anlb4

organic chemistry
« on: December 03, 2004, 05:48:46 AM »
Good Morning...Could you tell me what substitution and addition mean in organic chemistry..we are studying hydrocarbons and functional groups

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:organic chemistry
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 08:07:21 AM »
Substitution is as its name describes; a substitution of one component (I.E. functional group) for another.  Let's say you have the formula H3C-CH3 and you perform a substitution reaction involving an OH group.  The OH group will replace one of the H's in the molecule giving you an alcohol;  H3C-CH2OH.

An addition reaction is when a functional group or atom is added to a molecule.  so if you had H2C=CH2 and performed an addition reaction with fluorine, you'd get FH2C-CH2F.  So the fluorine gets added to the compound.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 07:47:29 PM by jdurg »
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

dexangeles

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 12:07:53 PM »
ditto above

but I believe substitution refers more to functional groups and not the entire compound

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 07:46:59 PM »
ditto above

but I believe substitution refers more to functional groups and not the entire compound

Indeed.  Just a wrong choice of words on my part.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links