April 25, 2024, 07:50:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gases: Mass of reactant needed to produce volume of reactant  (Read 4058 times)

dyeownsme

Gases: Mass of reactant needed to produce volume of reactant
« on: December 06, 2004, 02:26:41 PM »
Ethanol burns in air according to this equation:

C2H5OH (L) + O2 (G) ----->  CO2 (G)  +  H20 (L)

And asks calculate the mass of ethanol needed to produce 8.00L of CO2 (g) at 27 degrees C at 1.00 atm

I figured the mass produced but am not sure of method to solve this equation.

I am also confused about finding the Delta H for a reaction with on the formula given...   it is an reaction bettween NaOH adn HCl very basic but im stumped....

Thanks for any help whatsoever

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Gases: Mass of reactant needed to produce volume of reactant
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 02:36:24 PM »
convert 8L of CO2 into number of moles

find the required number of moles of ethanol, then convert to mass.

delta H is amount of energy evolved per mole of limiting reagent.

delta H for neutralisation is change in enthalpy during neutralisation per mole of water formed.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Gases: Mass of reactant needed to produce volume of reactant
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 03:41:02 PM »
There is also a small error in the equation you were given.  Due to the heat of combustion, any water that is formed will be formed as a gas and not as a liquid.  This may have an effect on the calculation since the presence of the gaseous water will alter the overall pressure.  So I would make sure that you should be disregarding water before finishing the problem.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links