April 29, 2024, 12:50:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bromine extraction from sea water  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Milo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bromine extraction from sea water
« on: February 25, 2007, 08:20:32 AM »
I have an assignment on this subject and it's a bit confusing for me...

I have a few questions, could people give me help and ideas to answer them, please!

I have searched the internet for relevant answers and I just can't find anything... been trying for quite a while as well :(

Just frustrating now

1) What change would you expect to see in teh bromine vapour after it has entered the absorption tower?

2) Suggest reasons why the tower us packed with glass tubing, and why the column is packed below the point where nitrogen enters the tower?

3) Explain why sodium hydroxide solution is suitable for absorbing bromine?

4) Suggest why a pH meter is included as a part of the absorbion tower's measuring equipment?

Thank you in advance...

Milo

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re: Bromine extraction from sea water
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »
perhaps you could post your thoughts on the questions? like what do you not understand? its hard enough for us to write a lengthy article on your topic since we do not exactly understand the problem (set-up, procedures, etc.)   :P
one learns best by teaching

Offline Milo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 09:05:14 AM »
Okay...

I will try...

The general emphasis is on the absorption tower, which is full short lengths of glass tubing which contain a concetrated aquenous solution if sodium hydroxide.

I just do no see the reason for these tubes, how does the sodium hydroxide react with bromine through the glass.

Also about the nitrogen entering above the point of the columns is this because otherwise a reaction could happen back into where the nitrogen entered?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »
Looks to me like you got it wrong. Please try to draw the column and show what, where and how enters it.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links