April 18, 2024, 10:17:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ksp help  (Read 5124 times)

tashkent

Ksp help
« on: December 06, 2004, 07:56:35 PM »
Greetings, everyone!

I have a problem regarding Ksp.  Assuming that NiS settles in a container and HNO3 is added dropwise, I would like to know how much [H+] concentration is needed before NiS starts to dissolve?  I am given the Ka1 and Ka2 of H2S, being 9.6 x 10-8 and 1.3 x 10-14, respectively.  This was my approach:

1)   Get the [S-2] concentration from NiS, using the Ksp of NiS.  

2)   From the [S-2] you got above, use it to get the [H+] concentration, applying the equation: [H+]2 [S-2] = Ka1x Ka2

This is my problem: there are two Ksp’s for NiS: for ? = 4 x 10-20, and for ? = 1.3 x 10-25.  What Ksp value should I use?

I would appreciate replies from any of you.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
Tashkent

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:Ksp help
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 01:42:07 AM »
First of all you should decide what does mean "starts to dissolve". Even in water NiS dissolves, but its molar solubility is 2x10-10 M for fresly precipitated NiS, and 3.6x10-13 M for not fresh precipitate. The next problem is that HNO3 dissolve NiS because it remove S2- anions by oxidation, not by  reversion of its dissociation, and only concentrated HNO3 works well.
And finally, you should assume that Ni(HS)2 formed in the course of reaction (its formation is not reliable in this case) is well soluble in water.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 09:14:54 AM by AWK »
AWK

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 06:37:30 PM »
Alpha and Beta are 2 different crystal lattice structure NiS can take. Each structure is favoured at a different range of P & T.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:39:36 AM »
Alpha and Beta are 2 different crystal lattice structure NiS can take. Each structure is favoured at a different range of P & T.
But sometimes we can meet problem of kinetically or thermodymamically controlled crystalization
AWK

Sponsored Links