April 19, 2024, 06:59:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Songs written in the last 20 years  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Bronwen Dekker

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
    • Nature Protocols
Songs written in the last 20 years
« on: March 18, 2007, 02:56:13 PM »
Hi All,

I realise that this is very-far-removed from chemistry, but I feel that I am among friends and can ask for help with my life-away-from-work.

On Saturday, I was walking in my local shopping centre and they were have something called a 'Piano-athon' (people playing the piano all day). Anyway there was no-one playing right then, so I asked if I could. Which I then did.

I realised afterwards that of the stuff that I play by ear, none of it had been written in the last 20 years. I went to HMV to look for CDs to try to rectify this situation, but was rather overwhelmed by the number of artists whose names I did not even know! (I came home with a Beegees and a Bryan Adams CD; just to give you an idea of how desparate the situation might be)

Would you please help me by suggesting contemporary music that you think would sound good on piano?

Thanks a million.
There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broadminded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. -Douglas Adams

I blog here and have started a collection of "protocols in boxes".

I work at Nature Protocols.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Songs written in the last 20 years
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »
I remember hearing some Metallica songs on the piano and thinking it sounded better than their music in general. I'm not a fan of metal music at all, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:23:39 PM »
Depends on what you like. I suppose some Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Californication?), Alanis Morisette (Ironic), Sting... Although these are all several years old already.

But if you are looking for something interesting - have you heard Asphalt Tango by Fanfare Ciocarlia? I think it could be easily played on piano, although I am not sure it will be still the same :) (BTW: look for video Fallen Art by Baginski, it uses Asphalt Tango as a soundtrack).

OTOH - do you know Jacques Loussier Trio? Look for their version of Ravel's Bolero to get what I am talking about.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 04:08:52 AM »
i used to listen to final fantasy game soundtracks on MIDI files, so i assume you could emulate them on piano.

i'm a small fan of RHCP, but im not sure about them being played on piano since they play rock music mostly. but a few of their songs could be played softly, like Snow (Hey Oh). though imho u're better off playing the guitar with their songs - like many of my friends :)

one learns best by teaching

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 02:52:53 PM »
Call me crazy, but hip-hop might go well with the piano.  If you ignore the lyrics (which I do quite a bit...just listening to the music)...A lot of the beats are repetitive and catchy, with flourishes/additions every 8 or 16 bars.  If you were so inclined, you could always add your own flourishes from the songs you already know :P

Scott Storch composes all of his hip-hop beats with a piano and synthesizer...

But if you're looking for songs meant for the piano that are popular nowadays...I'd try the Billboard Hot 100 Adult Contemporary Tracks:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=Hot+Adult+Contemporary+Tracks

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:18:38 AM »

OTOH - do you know Jacques Loussier Trio? Look for their version of Ravel's Bolero to get what I am talking about.

Man they are excellent!!   I have the Bach one  - it is fantastic  -  starts classical and then breaks into Jazz.  I love Bach and I love Jazz, so this band is really cool!     :)
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 08:24:16 PM »
After looking very briefly at my playlist I guess The Rock Show (Blink-182...), Sweet Child O' Mine (Guns 'n Roses) or anything by Cascada might turn out nicely...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:30:56 AM by Bakegaku »
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist