April 23, 2024, 02:59:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What are anion exchange columns made of?  (Read 8393 times)

Offline david82

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What are anion exchange columns made of?
« on: March 02, 2007, 09:02:03 PM »
Hi guys, just have a quick question, if you'd be so kind to tell me...
What are the materials from which anion exchange column tanks are made of?  ???
I heard that some company in Great Britain is supposed to be a leader in this field?
Any advice/link/answer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and take care.

Kind regards,

David  :)

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44

Offline david82

Re: What are anion exchange columns made of?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:59:23 PM »
Thanks for the answer and the links.
Can you tell me what the column tank is made of typically? Some sort of plastic maybe?
What I specifically need to know is, what material is best for the tank and the tubes/pipes when drinking water is involved?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 02:17:55 AM »
David82: are you a chemical engineer?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline david82

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 05:09:02 AM »
No, Sir I am not. I am asking these things for a friend, just trying to help someone out. That's why my questions probably sound amateurish.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 02:49:26 PM »
Are you thinking of Puritech's Ionex system?

The Ionex System is a continuous counter-current ion exchange system that use a single rotating multi-port distribution valve. The valve distributes different flow streams to several resin cells and determines whether the resin is in an an adsorption, regeneration or rinsing cycle.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline david82

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
Sadly those terms are too technical for me... Let me tell you the whole story. My friend is studying chemical engineering (4th year) and they have an assignment to theoretically construct a column which purifies water. Her current task in this assignment is to find out, through searching on the internet or literature, of which material should this column tank (and the pipes) be, in order to use it with drinking water. She understands how the process of anion exchange works, but the question is, should this tank be made of a special type of stainless steel, PVC.... And also what material to use in the pipes/hoses. Then they (the group) will calculate, how much water to put in, what the pressure should be, etc. So I've tried to help by looking on the net, found many firms that make and sell these columns, but have not found specific data about what they are made of.
I hope I explained my problem well enough, sorry if was not specific enough before.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 03:43:27 PM by david82 »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 04:47:53 PM »
Ask your friend to come to the forum instead. There is no point for you to act as a proxy unless you want to learn chemical engineering.

In fact, the typical consideration are the same:
1. susceptibility to corrosion by the process materials
2. is the specific chemical process limited by mass transfer?
3. if so, what material / setup would maximise mass transfer?

Sponsored Links