April 28, 2024, 04:48:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: F- is a better nucleophile than I-?  (Read 13254 times)

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
F- is a better nucleophile than I-?
« on: December 07, 2004, 05:07:40 AM »
If the solvent is aprotic!

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:F- is a better nucleophile than I-?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 10:54:37 AM »
I'm not sure if this will help you out, but F- is a VERY weak reducing agent in comparison to the I- ion.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 12:49:35 PM »
In protic solvent the more basic halides (F, Cl) will be less nucleophilic because of their interaction with hydrogen atoms.  This is especially true with fluoride since HF has a pKa of 3 (cf., HI, pKa = -10).  So, there is much less F- in solution to undergo substitution reactions.

In aprotic solvents, however, there are no available protons to tie up the F- as HF.  You would expect F- to be a very good nucleophile because it has a dense negative charge.  I think that the rest of the observation is justified quite simply.

dexangeles

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 08:45:11 PM »
I agree with the above

With an aprotic solvent, F- cannot be solvated by H-bonds.  This is the reason why the more basic, F- is less nucleophilic in most cases than I-  It's charge to size ratio makes it more hindered in terms of nucleophilicity in protic solvents.

dzxy

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 07:21:55 PM »
This arguments i believe are misleading... it doesn not put into account the polarizability of the anions. I- is more polarizable tha Cl- or F- that it why it it works best for SN2 reactions (favored by APROTIC solvents). In addition an alkyl halide RCl can be stirred in NaBr to convert to RBr but the opposite does NOT work (chek Finkelstein eaction :animatedwink:)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 12:20:51 AM »
Polarizability doesn't explain the empirical reversal of rates in SN2 reactions in protic vs. aprotic solvents.  (i.e. in protic solvents I- appears to be the best nucleophile, in aprotic solvents F- appears to be the best)

Furthermore, alkyl chlorides can indeed be prepared by the Finkelstein reaction.  NaBr is more soluble in aprotic solvents like acetone than is NaCl, so the reaction to form the bromide is driven by the precipitation of NaCl.  However, using conditions like TMS-Cl and imidazole in DMF can convert bromides to chlorides.  Finally, the Finkelstein reaction is one of the best ways to make alkyl fluorides from higher halides (especially iodides).

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2004, 01:22:04 PM »
I love TMS-Cl.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 02:00:26 PM »
I love TMS-Cl.

Ha!  Is that because of the faint burning sensation when you smell it, or the haze that it forms when you mix it with base?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 02:59:17 PM »
Heh.  A little from column A, a little from column B.   ;) ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

dexangeles

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 03:11:16 AM »
I agree with movies.  The question relates to nucleophilicity, thus concerning halide ions already.  

The reason aprotic solvents is part of the question is because it doesn't cause solvolysis of the ions.  In polar protic solvents I- would be a better nucleophile eventhough it is a much weaker base than F-

Doesn't polarizability deal with the extent of distorting electrons in the presence of a magnetic field?  Thus it deals more with intermolecular forces between molecules.  Polarizability is one of the factors that explains differences in boiling point, etc....

Sponsored Links