April 25, 2024, 09:02:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What causes the shape of the dz2 orbital?  (Read 20582 times)

ledfrisby

What causes the shape of the dz2 orbital?
« on: December 07, 2004, 02:48:52 PM »
I know that the dz2 orbital has the same energy as the other d orbitals, and that it has a donut shaped concentration.  What I need to know is why it takes that shape.  

Demotivator

Re:What causes the shape of the dz2 orbital?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:10:56 AM »
The orbitals are real physically, but the interesting thing is that they are derived/predicted  from the mathematics of the wave equation.
There are 5 d orbitals so you would think that there are five solution to the equation. As it turns out , the math actually produces six solutions to Schroedinger equation for l = 2, but there can only be five linearly independent solutions. The standard procedure in differential calculus is to use a linear combination of two dependent functions to produce one independent one. Thus, dz2 looks odd because it is a linear combination of d(z2 - x2) and d(z2 - y2) functions.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 02:20:56 AM »
All d-orbitals have 2 nodes the dz2 just happen to have nodes that are cones instead of planes.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

ledfrisby

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »
The orbitals are real physically, but the interesting thing is that they are derived/predicted  from the mathematics of the wave equation.
There are 5 d orbitals so you would think that there are five solution to the equation. As it turns out , the math actually produces six solutions to Schroedinger equation for l = 2, but there can only be five linearly independent solutions. The standard procedure in differential calculus is to use a linear combination of two dependent functions to produce one independent one. Thus, dz2 looks odd because it is a linear combination of d(z2 - x2) and d(z2 - y2) functions.

Thanks for the speedy reply.  I looked all over the internet, but couldn't find the answer until I came here.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 09:52:52 AM by ledfrisby »

Sponsored Links