March 28, 2024, 11:46:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ho to make Methanloc ammonia in the lab where there is no ammonia cylinder?  (Read 10152 times)

Offline orgmethodologist

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi I work in an organic lab where there is no NH3 gas cylinder. I was wondering if you guys have any trick to make methanolic ammonia from NH4OH ( Nh3 in water) or other chemical methods.

I would appreciate your help.

With best,

XYZ

Offline Custos

• Mole Snacks: +32/-0
Assuming you want anhydrous methanolic ammonia you can do the following. Heat up your solution of aqueous ammonium hydroxide, that will drive off ammonia gas (but it will have water vapour with it). Pass the gas through a drying agent like potassium hydroxide pellets, and bubble the dry ammonia into anhydrous methanol. Ammonia is very soluble in methanol so be wary of suck-back. Appropriate use of Dreschel bottles should do the trick (see pic). Attach a drying tube on the end if you want to exclude moisture.

Offline lavoisier

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-3
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
I would keep the MeOH flask in a basin with ice and water. Ammonia is soluble in MeOH, but it readily escapes at room temperature.

Offline orgmethodologist

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thanks to you.

Sorry that I could not get back bit ealier than this. Appreciated your help.

Best,
orgmethodologist

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
You can add NH4OH (aq.) to solid sodium or pottasium hydroxide to get the gas, then drying it with hydroxide as described.

Sponsored Links