April 19, 2024, 06:52:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: TBS Protection  (Read 16274 times)

Offline Swerning

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
TBS Protection
« on: March 14, 2007, 05:40:28 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to protect an hydroxyl group on a ring as its silyl ether (TBS group), but i'm having no joy, also the hydroxyl group has a small alkenyl chain alpha to it and they are cis to one another

I tried the standard reaction of TBDMSCl, imidazole, DMF but this just gave unreacted starting material. I was thinking instead to try TBDMSCl, Et3N and DMAP or use the more reactive TBDMSOTf.

Any thoughts??

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: TBS Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 05:29:26 AM »
I had a stubborn neopentyl OH I wanted to silylate a few months ago. I got my best yields using TBDMSCl and using pyridine as the solvent/base, stir at RT overnight. I don't like imidazole because it's a pain to get rid of.

A post doc in the group had a very stubborn OH which me managed to protect by using something like 3 eq TBDMSCl, 5 eq imidazole, very concentrated in DMF and heated to 100 degrees C.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:04:16 PM »
As you suggested, DMAP is a good additive here.  Silyl triflates are okay, but they sometimes cause some other problems depending on what else you have in your molecule.

A guy in our lab had some crazy conditions with TBSCl and AgNO3.  He swore by them!

Offline wintermute

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 06:28:11 AM »

Sponsored Links