April 23, 2024, 05:29:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Safe explosion  (Read 17040 times)

Offline Wickwire

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Safe explosion
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:44:43 AM »
I am looking for a way to explode a gelatin ball or capsule using a chemical reaction that is safe and does not involve fire or gunpowder.    Does anyone have any ideas about how to do this?  The larger the explosion, the better.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re: Safe explosion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 03:07:20 AM »
How about vinegar and baking soda?  That generates gas and will pop the capsule.  If you are looking for a large explosion, chances are it won't be safe.  The idea of a large explosion in itself is dangerous, so it follows that the larger the explosion, the more unsafe it is.

A note to all: be careful what you recommend here, as we won't tolerate 'kEwL bOmZ' posts or the like.

Offline Goebbels

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:25:50 PM »
I know it's possible to *********. Screw on the top tightly and throw. The build up of hydrogen causes the pressure to increase to far more than the bottle can handle and explode.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:55:06 PM by hmx9123 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »
I know it's possible to ********************. Screw on the top tightly and throw. The build up of hydrogen causes the pressure to increase to far more than the bottle can handle and explode.

It is hardly safe! Even plastic bottle can do serious damage to soft tissues. If you are close enough stitches almost guaranteed.

The harder the bottle/vessel/anything the more dangerous explosion. Something like popping balloon will be noisy but relatively safe. Or use tube with a cork, tube must be strong enough to not explode (better forget about glass), cork be better tied so that it can't fly away.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:55:22 PM by hmx9123 »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Goebbels

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 05:15:12 PM »
Safe explosion is an oxymoron.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:56:14 PM »
C'mon.  I know everyone out there and their brother on the internet have read about how to do this, but let's not explicitly state how to build a bomb.  Safe explosions are indeed an oxymoron, which is probably why this thread has faltered.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 04:23:31 AM »
QUOTE: "Safe explosions are indeed an oxymoron"

hmmmm, just to play advocate here -  a balloon popping is an explosion by definition of the word explosion. I would say that is safe.

An explosion in a controlled environment could be safe if all the precautions are in place  (an explosion in a desert or in outer space?).

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Goebbels

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »
Presumably and explosion couldn't happen in space...

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 10:49:31 PM »

hmmmm, just to play advocate here -  a balloon popping is an explosion by definition of the word explosion. I would say that is safe.

What if a piece of the balloon flies into your eye, or some genius explodes it near your ear causing ear damage?  :P

Or...

What if you accidentally inhale a piece of the balloon, and choke to death?  ;)
An explosion in a controlled environment could be safe if all the precautions are in place  (an explosion in a desert or in outer space?).

What if some debris flies off, and just so happens to collide with someone doing a space walk on the ISS puncturing their space suit?   :P

It could happen, "explode" is a very generic term. You could have a a balloon in the air lock, when the pressure drops the balloon (assuming it's a standard latex balloon) would "explode". You just wouldn't hear the boom. ;)
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 01:15:23 AM »
I guess I was referring to what the orignal poster wanted, i.e., an explosion caused by a chemical reaction.  Those are generally more dangerous than physical explosions created by overpressure.  It is true, though, that even popping of a paper bag or a balloon could have problems, though they are minimal.  Some explosions and some explosives are 'safe'.  I would argue, though, that explosives are safe like sex is safe: there's still always a chance that something could go drastically wrong.  Now, are the risks worth the reward?  In many cases, yes.  Is creating a bomb in the manner Goebbels suggested safe enough to justify the 'reward' of blowing up a small gelatin capsule in the lab?  I would think not.

Offline Goebbels

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 02:43:10 AM »
Sorry about that, I havn't actually ever tried that one before, I've just heard about it. So I didn't realise it was quite that dangerous. Apologies

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 05:02:55 AM »
It's OK.  We try and stay away from explicit instructions on how to make 'bombs' and other destructive devices here on the forums here for a number of reasons.  The point is well taken, though.  It's easy to create an explosion, but keeping it safe can be a challenge.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 07:07:10 AM »
date=1182978859]

It could happen, "explode" is a very generic term. You could have a a balloon in the air lock, when the pressure drops the balloon (assuming it's a standard latex balloon) would "explode". You just wouldn't hear the boom. ;)
[/quote]END QUOTE:-

In fact  -  if you tossed the balloon, filled with air, out of the airlock into space (vacuum) -  the thing will expand by itself and explode as the air in the balloon tries to fill the vacuum (space) and the surrounding parameters of the balloon will be stretched beyond their limits.

This in fact would be quite safe indeed (apart from the obvious perils of flying to space on/in a rocket).. ;D ;D

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links