April 28, 2024, 12:42:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about Henry constant  (Read 2824 times)

Offline ultrashogun

• Mole Snacks: +5/-6
Question about Henry constant
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:06:44 AM »
Nobody has ever mentioned this to me, but I was just playing around with some calculations and my question is, is the Henry constant in Henrys law the same thing as the equilibrium constant for the process of solution?

CO2(g) <---> CO2(aq)

The law tells me that [CO2(aq)] at equilibrium is h * Ppart, so if I substitute in the expression for K I get K = (Ppart * h)/Ppart = h .

My other question is, if I wanted to find the Partial pressure of CO2 in water, taking into consideration the reaction of the gas with water

CO2(aq) + H20 <> H2CO3 with K,

Would the expression of K for the total reaction be Kt = h * K ? 

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
Re: Question about Henry constant
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »
Henry's law: ep = ekc; taking ln: p = kH*c; in this case kH = pCO2 (g) / [CO2 (aq)]

CO2 (g) <> CO2 (aq)  K1 = [CO2(aq)] / pCO2(g) = 1/kH

CO2 (aq) + H2O (l) <> H2CO3 (aq) (let's assume H2CO3 as a single solvated molecule for simpleness, of course it would dissociate into (bi)carbonate)  K2 = [H2CO3 (aq)] / [CO2 (aq)] = kH * [H2CO3] / pCO2 (g)

which means that for the overall reaction: CO2 (g) + H2O <> H2CO3
Kt = [H2CO3 (aq)] / pCO2 (g) = K1 * K2

in principle the same as your approach. Just be careful with Henry's constants - they are given in alot of different formats. (for example both [ L atm / mol], and [M / atm ] - work out if you need the relation p = k * c or k* = p * c from the dimensions )

Sponsored Links