April 19, 2024, 07:39:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why not use lab-equipment in the kitchen?  (Read 14454 times)

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
Why not use lab-equipment in the kitchen?
« on: March 18, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »
We already use modified bunzenburners for cremè brülee  :)

Other possible equipment with suited uses:

* Reflux condenser

For  boiling fish or carrots. The aromatic part of the food is often what gives it the taste (half the taste is what we smell while eating). The aromatic compounds is often also cooked away to the surroundings (smells very nice, but the food becomes not so tasty). A reflux condenser will give tastier food, since it will reflux it all back into the food. Remember to use the water you cooked it in, in the sauce.

* Rotavapor or
* water aspirator vacuum:

Sometime you make to much food, why not take away the water, and store it in the fridge? Also great for removing air for storing food in vacuum-bags or if you are using

* Buchner-funnel and filterpaper:
Impress your visitors with fresh lemonade or orange juice with no fruit-meat or stones!
Also great if you are making wine or beer.

* Liquid nitrogen:
Not lab-equipment, but you could dry-freeze bananas or make ice-cream  ;D
If you have a vacuum-line installed in your kitchen, you probably use liquid nitrogen already.

*Cooking plate with
* magnetic-stirrer / mechanical stirrer

* pH meter, why not make a science out of making coffee or tea? The exact pH should tell you how much beans or leaves to add.

So tell us, what else equipment could we adopt to our kitchen back home? And do you see the potential in it?
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Why not use lab-equipment in the kitchen?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
* Reflux condenser

For  boiling fish or carrots. The aromatic part of the food is often what gives it the taste (half the taste is what we smell while eating). The aromatic compounds is often also cooked away to the surroundings (smells very nice, but the food becomes not so tasty). A reflux condenser will give tastier food, since it will reflux it all back into the food. Remember to use the water you cooked it in, in the sauce.
Do not over cook the food, problem solved! Equipment does not makeup for technique!

* Rotavapor or
* water aspirator vacuum:

Sometime you make to much food, why not take away the water, and store it in the fridge? Also great for removing air for storing food in vacuum-bags or if you are using
Almost everything you can cook can store in the fridge at home for at minimum 24 hours. Kitchen vacuum systems are very cheap and prolong items.

* Buchner-funnel and filterpaper:
Impress your visitors with fresh lemonade or orange juice with no fruit-meat or stones!
Also great if you are making wine or beer
You could just use the $9.99 juicers where you squeeze and turn it manually. Or you could pay more for a fancy electric juicer.

*Cooking plate with
* magnetic-stirrer / mechanical stirrer

* pH meter, why not make a science out of making coffee or tea? The exact pH should tell you how much beans or leaves to add.

So tell us, what else equipment could we adopt to our kitchen back home? And do you see the potential in it?

Now, an automatic stirrer is an excellent idea, and should be built into stove tops! Having something to periodically stir the sauces I am cooking would be awesome. Making real spaghetti sauce you have to slow slow simmer for hours, man it is annoying having to go in the kitchen ever ~10min and stir.

The pH meter...well, that is not exactly exact :)

But, to be honest, food would get boring if every time it tasted exactly the same. That is one of the reasons I love to cook so much, it is easy to try new things. Just a little bit more of ingredient G can make it taste very different. Variety is the spice of live, after all!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 06:47:19 PM »
I cannot count the times I wish I had an automatic stirrer. Having built right into the burner system is a good idea as well. Make sure the stirring bar is too large to swallow.

The microwave if run properly tends to keep the quality and taste of vegetables.     Yet it is not used in the laboratory that much as far as I know (except to make coffee).

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:27:03 PM by billnotgatez »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 07:46:18 PM »
I have seen kind of electric pot with built in stirrer/knife, something like food processor with heater. It could be used either when cooking or as a blender.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:46:45 PM »
billnotgatez: actually, a lot of people run reactions in the microwave ;)

Offline mir

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 06:45:41 AM »
Do not over cook the food, problem solved! Equipment does not makeup for technique!

Of course not. But it would be welcomed by people in a hurry. Not everybody got the technique, and they don't bother to learn it either.

man it is annoying having to go in the kitchen ever ~10min and stir.

Somebody is going to be millionaire by selling such equpment
$$££ *ka-tching* ££$$  ;D

The pH meter...well, that is not exactly exact :)

Well, if you calibrate it regularly, and dont let the probe run dry...  ::)

But, to be honest, food would get boring if every time it tasted exactly the same. That is one of the reasons I love to cook so much, it is easy to try new things.  Just a little bit more of ingredient G can make it taste very different. Variety is the spice of live, after all!

Yes, and why not use ethanol and extraction to isolate new flavours, in kitchen? A company hired me for some time ago, they wanted to extract anti-oksidants from berries. Things like that - It would also be cooking!  :)
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:17:24 AM »
Do you think they purposely make the devices in a lab very different so you will not be tempted to use them at home, and vice versa?

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:18:05 PM »
I'm reallu like the mechanical stirrer idea. You could build it into the stove like enahs said. Hmmm I think I know how I'm going to get rich.  ;)
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »
DO IT!  and send me a stove, yes?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:35:14 AM »
I looked up Reflux condenser in Wikipedia and got a list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflux_condenser
Condenser may refer to:

* Abbe condenser, a group of lenses mounted below the stage of an optical microscope to concentrate light
    * Condenser (steam turbine), a shell and tube heat exchanger installed in thermal power stations
    * condenser microphone, a device to record air waves into an electrical signal
    * synchronous condenser, a rotating machine similar to a motor, used to control AC power flow on an electric power transmission
    * Liebig condenser, a glass tube surrounded by a water jacket used to cool hot vapors
    * Allihn condenser, similar to a Liebig condenser but a series of large and small constrictions on the inside tube
    * Graham condenser, a large glass tube containing a hollow glass coil running its entire length used to cool hot vapors
    * Dimroth condenser, a Graham condenser where the coil doubles up, returning to where it started
    * Friedrich condenser, a large, spiraled cold finger
    * Vigreux condenser, which has has many indentations in the glass
    * Steam locomotive condensing apparatus fitted to steam locomotives which worked in tunnels
    * In electronics, a now-obsolete term for a capacitor

Offline CarroTT

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »
arrrgghhhh, dun boil me  :'(

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 05:59:28 PM »
I'm reallu like the mechanical stirrer idea. You could build it into the stove like enahs said. Hmmm I think I know how I'm going to get rich.  ;)

I demand a free stove, and some of the profit please!

Offline mir

• Chemist
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
Don't forget me! I came up with this idea  ;D
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 09:29:38 PM »
I'm an American.
American = America
America = capitalism
capitalism = whoever patents it first makes the money
whoever patents it first makes the money = their money
money*good idea = rich
rich = it's my money why share

Now we apply the transitive property and you wind up with it's my money why would I share with you guys because I live in a capitalistic country that tend to be focused around the individual. 

Just kidding I'd share. :) ;)
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links