April 29, 2024, 01:09:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can Someone Answere these Newb ?'s ??  (Read 6785 times)

Offline Mushroomer

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Can Someone Answere these Newb ?'s ??
« on: March 17, 2007, 04:43:43 PM »
Ok Look im thinking about doing some hard non-stop reading on chemistry but befor i do that i dont know if it really intersts me so if anyone can answere some of these questions about what i think is interesting in chemistry i would be so happy i am just a poor Newby but i have read Isaac Asimovs: New Guide to Science. But that didnt help it did give me a start though.. Sorry if i write too much i just want to be descriptive  :P

Questions:

1. How do you bond atoms together?Say For example:Epinephrine: (C9H13NO3) Can you make a synthetic Epinephrine?Like say go out and buy some carbon, some Hydrogen,nytrogen,and oxygen and put these together in a certain way?

2.Are there any good Simulation programs out there to help me out with some visualisations of how to do something?

3.Do i need Certain Tools to Build a coumpound? If so how can i find out where to buy these tools.
And also can i use these tools in my own home and do the same things they would be able to do in a lab?

4.Are there ways to extract elements from things? Like say my house i have something that has carbon in it, instead of going to the store and start sending cash flying out my ass i can get the element at low or no cost then the other way?If so how?

End.

PS:Well thats about it i know its alot of work to answere these questions but if you could please help its very important to me.. Im still got 1 year of highschool left and i am not in a really good one i got kicked out of other ones so im in a lowlife one where the kids that go to it dont know s#*$ because of drugs and stuff so like i dont get taught this so im kinda Taking it on by myself so it really will help and thank you .. Also idont know but if who or how many whos there are that can REALLY answere these any of these.. i dont know what i can do but ill try to help you with somethin.. s#*$.. god knows what i will be able to do but its just how much i apreciate the help..

Uhm ;D im going to shut my ass up now thank you!

Offline madscientist

• Mole Snacks: +14/-7
  • University of New England Australia
Re: Can Someone Answere these Newb ?'s ??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 06:30:15 AM »
Questions:

1. How do you bond atoms together?Say For example:Epinephrine: (C9H13NO3) Can you make a synthetic Epinephrine?Like say go out and buy some carbon, some Hydrogen,nytrogen,and oxygen and put these together in a certain way?

To "bond atoms together" as you put it, you would start of with a certain compound and through various reactions you would form the desired product.

2.Are there any good Simulation programs out there to help me out with some visualisations of how to do something?

Define somthing?

3.Do i need Certain Tools to Build a coumpound? If so how can i find out where to buy these tools.
And also can i use these tools in my own home and do the same things they would be able to do in a lab?

yes you do need tools, thats a no brainer  ;D there are various web sites that sell lab equipment.  If youve got the money to purchase enough lab equipment im sure you could do lab work in your home, although alot of chemistry involves the use of dangerous chemicals and processes so you would need to do a safety analysis before attempting anything.

4.Are there ways to extract elements from things? Like say my house i have something that has carbon in it, instead of going to the store and start sending cash flying out my ass i can get the element at low or no cost then the other way?If so how?

This is a realy good website, http://www.webelements.com/ ,just click on the element you want to know somthing about and away you go.

cheers,

madscientist

The only stupid question is a question not asked.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 07:19:04 AM »
chemistry is not a science based on lego blocks, you cannot just bunch up atoms and put them in order one by one. intermolecular forces between atoms complicate the apparently simple arrangement, and since stability of compounds is a key issue, putting your reagents together will most likely result in the most stable compound, which is quite different from the ideal visualised compound.
one learns best by teaching

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »
If you want to play with carbon, just go take an intro class in organic chemistry.  You can find a lot of things in your house that contain carbon.  That doesn't mean you can use any of them to do what you want!  Much more complicated than that.

Offline Mushroomer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 05:11:53 PM »
From: madscientist: To "bond atoms together" as you put it, you would start of with a certain compound and through various reactions you would form the desired product.
I geuss that reasonable  ;) a little more complicated and confusing but success takes learning the complicated. Thanks a bunch man i apreciate it all of you but now it opens up more harder questions in my mind. :-\ I dont expect Indepth responses but could someone give me the Basix at least?  8) More Questions.. theyll be my last i dont want to anoy anyone.

1. Through messing with Coumpounds... Cant build em up i see. well then how should i go about "manipulating" coumpounds eh? is there like one certain compound people most use as a catylist? or an never ending amount? Also is there a site that would take me through further information on this aside from what i learn here?

Define somthing?

2.Like a type of AI or some easy to use program that would help, have simulations, teach, experiment, and like tell me how to do something that i wouldnt be able to do in my head like say if i was going to build onto a coumpound to create something else then it could show me how and in what way to doit Waaaaay easier then on paper or in my head if that is even possible to do.

From: xiankai: chemistry is not a science based on lego blocks, you cannot just bunch up atoms and put them in order one by one. intermolecular forces between atoms complicate the apparently simple arrangement, and since stability of compounds is a key issue, putting your reagents together will most likely result in the most stable compound, which is quite different from the ideal visualised compound.

3. Uhh I think i understand what your trying to say but remember i am very slow so could you describe what you mean like your were talking to George W. Bush.. (stupidist [silly Billy] in the world.. cant beleive his dumb ass is in office.. Id apreciate it.. thanks.

From: ?*?: If you want to play with carbon, just go take an intro class in organic chemistry.  You can find a lot of things in your house that contain carbon.  That doesn't mean you can use any of them to do what you want!  Much more complicated than that.

4. Well if you go look at my Post at the top i said that im in a [bad] School where criminals and wannabe gangsters go when they get thrown out of there normal school.. unfortunatly i got kicked out for smoking Pot.. And there is no place for me to sign up for because i have no money.. I just got outa Jail for six months i lost my job and i got the shittiest school in town but i dont want that to stop me from getting an education in what i think is really interesting. So im pretty much on my own. As for the Tools i should be getting some crappy job sometime in the next three weeks i hope and then ill have (A Little Money) but thats it because what jobs going to hire a guy whos been in and out of the "Bad House" for drug offenses.. so im limited in resources all i got is me.. Now i know you can extract carbon from other coumpounds and molecules etc. but to the How is what i would like to know. now i also think it is possible for there to be things that this proccess cant happen to because of maybe certain properties of things.. i dont know but i would like to know.. also there is a thing i read in asimovs about Ion Exchange which seperates things .. theres the Centrifuge and then theres the one Paper thing i forget  oh Chromatography on paper Idont know please enlighten me.. and god damn i write waaaay to much..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:57:55 AM by Dan »

Offline madscientist

• Mole Snacks: +14/-7
  • University of New England Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 05:20:29 PM »
Watch the language in the forums please.  If your that keen about learning chemistry its going to take a fair bit of hard work and dedication on your part. Do yourself a favor and go to the library, get as many books as you can on chemistry (high school or 1st year level) and do some reading. you've obviously got a lot of energy seeing the way you write your posts, put that energy into reading and soaking up as much as you can.  Another thing you could do is talk to a science teacher at your school, prove to him that you are really interested about chemistry (volunteer to be a lab hand or something....) and he may help you.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 05:34:42 PM by madscientist »
The only stupid question is a question not asked.

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • ooh, shiny!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
You sound curious...I like that :)  You do have options.  I know a few profs here who are teaching an inmate who will graduate with a B.S. in chemistry when he gets out. 
Too bad for your situation.  They really should go easy on pot smokers.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 09:49:49 PM »
Sounds to me like you'll have to start from the very basics.

Definitely for to your local library, and take out some high school level books. I guess the most fundamental part of chemistry is atoms and compounds. Learn what makes an atom an atom. Try to find a teacher, not necessarily at your school, that will help you out.

To understand chemistry you definitely need to like it, you have to be curious, and you need to be persistent.

Lastly, they kicked you out of school just because of pot? Man that sucks.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • ooh, shiny!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 09:53:34 PM »
Come to think of it...
My SAACS chapter has "inherited" older editions of a lot of college-level gen chem & organic texts.  We have multiple copies of these.  They're not the current version that's being used in classes, so they will fetch nothing on ebay or at the bookstore.  Could ship you a few, maybe?  They're only taking up space here.

Offline Mushroomer

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 11:22:27 PM »
Hmm. Okay thanks for the advice and the help. And the Library thing oh yea that is manditory on my part i had that planned like 3 months ago when i was sitting staring at those white walls. I plan to get a type of job where like i am the only one there so i can sit and read on this stuff but thanks again. Yes i am already interested in it. i used to watch this show when i was 16, something called "Full Metal Alchemist" and after reaserching on the alchemy i knew that it wasnt all just what the show said it was but, got the idea, the thought of being able to make anything using chemistry working at a level most ppl dont even know how to do. And to make things that i wouldnt be able to find easily, you know? i would look at at a bananna some time while eating it and id think to myself , Hey wouldnt it be the coolest if i could make this bannana with the right lab tools. it was that that got me hooked that type of thought, now i dont know if that type of dream of mine is possible but i still wanna try it. Oh and constant thinker iv been a wonderer my hole life and i dont know why but i feel like i have to know everything.. like why the sky is blue ya know what i mean? I know why its blue but thats what i mean.?*? Thanks alot for that offer man that might be a possibility man if you really dont need em no more no sense in letting them wraught there now would there be lol? Ill get back to you on that one of these days.  ;D thanks alot for putting up with my Big oll Posts .. Gee i could probobly wright a book with all of this huh. lol

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
Curiosity is what got me interested in chemistry. Then after much time around this forum I realized I want to get a degree in chemistry.

Hang around the forums, and read posts. You'll learn a lot.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links