March 21, 2023, 03:58:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for the name of a chemical...  (Read 2461 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ScapeSheep

  • Very New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Looking for the name of a chemical...
« on: March 23, 2007, 03:16:50 PM »
I hope this is the right area to post this.

Anyway, someone was telling me about a chemical that, when mixed with water, gives it a jelly-like consistency. That is, the British definition of jelly. Now, does anyone the name of a chemical that does this at room temperature, within several hours? It'd help if it were easy to make/obtain.

I'm not sure if gelatin would work because it needs a pretty cool temperature to set, I believe. I'm not even sure if I could get find gelatin (third-world country). Might make you wonder how I would get access to whatever chemical you may prescribe, but hey, it won't hurt to try.

The reason I need this is for a (harmless) prank, if you must know!

Offline Borek

  • Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • *
  • Posts: 27295
  • Mole Snacks: +1772/-408
  • Gender: Male
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Looking for the name of a chemical...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:45:16 PM »
I wish I remember details... I have read not long ago about some kind of substance that will suit your needs. AFAIR it was based on polyvinyl alcohol and - after use - it could be easily broken by adding NaCl.

See also
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation,,

Sponsored Links