April 29, 2024, 12:17:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Carbon Ring trouble  (Read 5813 times)

mortarhate

Carbon Ring trouble
« on: December 10, 2004, 11:22:14 PM »
Aye, I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this, I'm sorry if my question seems stupid but I can't seem to find any good resources on Organic chemistry, and I don't know how the damn carbon rings are numbered (neither do my chem teachers lol).

ALD-52 differs from LSD-25 in that at N-1 there is a COCH3 connected to the pyrrole ring as apposed to a single Hydrogen (found in LSD-25).

This is fine but by definition the pyrrole ring is a heterocyclic ring of C4H5N, and the only Hydrogen connected at a Nitrogen is near the bottom (of the picture). But that is not a pyrolle ring. Supposedly the double bonds between the carbons act as a Hydrogen but that would only make up 4 if my math is right. Meaning C4H4N. How would that be possible? Is that were theCOCH3 connects?

Im not sure if I should even bother with it. Some people say ALD-52 is better than LSD but others disagree. I havent had the pleasure to synthesis or try either

dexangeles

Re:Carbon Ring trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 02:20:52 AM »
As a simple example, it's just like a benzene ring which is C6H6.  Just because bigger molecules such as Naphthalene, Hexachlorophene, or Anthracene don't have rings with the C6H6 configuration amongst it's rings, it doesn't mean that the structures do not contain a benzene ring(s) as it's basic structural unit.  

mortarhate

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 11:07:11 AM »
Ahh, I see. That sounds a little scary when it comes to naming though.

Does the same apply to the carboxamide at the top of the molecule? It to doesn't have everything that a carboxamide should and yet it is still labeled as such.

mortarhate

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 09:03:04 PM »
And how can you differentiate between basic structual unit and a totally different molecule? Do you have to rely on the names or something?  ???

dzxy

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 07:48:24 PM »

Heres a link that will solve your problem with fused rings!

http://www.acdlabs.com/iupac/nomenclature/93/r93_229.htm

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 01:13:39 AM »
Very often chemists use some names incorectly - in this case pyrrole ring means ring that has the same skeleton as pyrrole (atoms, but forget all hydrogen atoms, size, and bonds and so on)
AWK

Sponsored Links