April 29, 2024, 12:14:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrogen detection  (Read 5929 times)

Offline linus

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hydrogen detection
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:37:05 AM »
Hi,

Does anybody knows any simple method for determination of hydrogen gas?
I mean some "spot test" or simply a chemical substance that changes its colour in presence of H2 at room temperature.

Thank you!

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Hydrogen detection
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »
hopefully without explosion

Offline AhmedEzatAlzawalaty

• Mole Snacks: +4/-31
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »
Think about pH meter for air but here protons are no present it is molecules

Offline linus

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:54:28 AM »
I know if you light a match and it sounds like a "pop" it is a prove that you have H2, but I need some colour indicator or shomething like that.

Thank you.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:33:37 PM »
In an effort to home in on your question more, I ask the following. I might not have the answer but those who do may appreciate a little more clarity.

Will the hydrogen be in trace amounts in the surrounding air or are you trying to measure it in a container to determine its concentration.

By the way, in the past they used to put some gas that smells with the hydrogen so that you know you have a leak by smell alone. They still do this with natural gas.

FYI – hydrogen will burn or explode in the concentrations range of about 5% to 85% in air, which is a very big range.

Offline linus

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:02:08 PM »
I don't have to measure it, only detect the production of H2 of some bacteria.

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 05:38:05 AM »
Let me see if I can define your problem a little better as well as give the chemist only here an understanding of studies with bacteria. In many studies bacteria are grown on Petri dish or slant tube with a specific growth media. These containers are usually clear and allow one to see the results. In many cases the appearance of the culture after growth is indicative of the kind of bacteria present. Sometimes non-poisonous additives are put in the growth media that will change color as an example. An example might be the addition of an acidity sensitive compound into the media to detect the pH of the bacteria excrement. I think what the original poster wants is something that changes color when exposed to hydrogen gas and that is not poisonous or changes in some way that would be a good marker. Unfortunately, I cannot remember any at this time.

linus do i express your problem correctly?

allanf

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:00:26 PM »
Some japanese researchers wrote a paper (last year) on using Wilkinson's catalyst and regular pH indicators to detect the hydrogen gas evolved by some bacteria.  ( doi:10.1263/jbb.102.220 )

The only other methods I know of are the (relatively) expensive in-line hydrogen detectors used in industry, which are probably overkill.

Offline linus

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 01:41:41 AM »
Thank you Allan, this is just what I need.

If I have success I will post the results.

Sponsored Links