April 29, 2024, 02:31:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The ol' silver moose (tree) trick...  (Read 6186 times)

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
The ol' silver moose (tree) trick...
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »
So for the 1 year anniversary I've decided I have to have a badass gift for my girlfriend. My girlfriend's spirit animal is a moose and I can't find anything really cool with a moose, so instead I plan on making a home-made moose for her. To do this I'm planning on using a bunch of copper wire that is bent into the shape of a moose and then dropping this figure into a solution of silver nitrate. I currently have 10 grams of silver nitrate and I'm trying to figure out the best way to calculate how much silver will attach itself to the wire and what the final product will look like without just making a horrible looking moose. If I leave gaps in the wire will the silver fill those gaps if I use less wire and more silver!?

So basically, has anyone ever done a silver tree project or something similar to it? Perhaps someone could help me with what the reaction will actually look like. I don't want to wind up with a silver colored version of the wire frame I start with, but rather an entirely hollow silver moose.

Hit me with tips or if you've tried it, experience. The anniversary is on the 17th, so I have until then to shape this moose up and figure out the molarity of my solution/weight of the frame.

Thanks in advance for any *delete me*

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
Re: The ol' silver moose (tree) trick...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
Never tried it, but it sounds like a cool idea.  You may want to get a backup gift just in case, though...

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »
In my experiments with copper wire in silver nitrate, the silver tends to fall off the copper wire really easily....

Maybe it's just me.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 05:27:03 AM »
You might want to use the moose frame idea to surround a flowerpot. Sort of an artistic addition to the pot itself. Then you do not have to worry about it being solid looking.

http://www.wirehorses.com/animal_figurines.html

Offline Ψ×Ψ

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +8/-4
  • ooh, shiny!
    • carbon-based curiosities
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 07:29:08 AM »
Sounds cool!  Might also help if there were something planted.  ;)

Sponsored Links