March 29, 2024, 10:29:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which term does not belong and explain why?  (Read 6101 times)

Offline x33lovely

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Which term does not belong and explain why?
« on: April 14, 2007, 05:52:24 PM »
Which term does not belong and explain why?

1) hydrogen-ion concentration
    hydroxide-ion concentration
    basic solution
    ion-product constant for water

Basic solution because all other terms refer to the quantity of the hydrogen and hydroxide ions.

2) basic
    neutral
    acidic
    hydronium ion

Hydronium ion because all other terms describe different types of solutions and the concentrations of H+ and OH- and the nature of a substance.

3) acidic solution
    hydroxide ion
    basic solution
    alkaline solution

Acidic solution because an alkaline solution is a basic solution and the hydroxide ion is dominant in alkaline/basic solutions.

4) pH
    dissociation constant
    hydronium ion
    hydroxide ion

Dissociation constant because hydronium ion and hydroxide ion are related to pH.

5) Arrhenius
    Bronsted-Lowry
    Lewis
    amphoteric

Amphoteric because Arrhenius, Bronsted-Lowry, and Lewis are chemists who proposed theories about acids and bases.

6) conjugate acid
    Bronsted-Lowry
    Lewis acid
    conjugate base

Lewis acid because conjugate base and conjugate acid are used in the Bronsted-Lowry. ??

7) monoprotic
    amphoteric
    diprotic acid
    triprotic acid

Amphoteric because it can act both as an acid or base whereas all other terms are acids that lose 1,2, or 3 hydrogen ions.

8) weak bases
    weak acids
    strong acids
    dissociation constant

This one I'm not really sure, but I think strong acids doesn't belong because all other terms help to define dissociation constant??

Can someone tell me if my answers are correct and if the explanations are accurate? If they aren't accurate or don't make any sense, can you provide any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Which term does not belong and explain why?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 06:45:04 PM »
3) acidic solution
    hydroxide ion
    basic solution
    alkaline solution

Acidic solution because an alkaline solution is a basic solution and the hydroxide ion is dominant in alkaline/basic solutions.

Hydroxide ion, because all other are solutions? Ambiguity here.

8) weak bases
    weak acids
    strong acids
    dissociation constant

This one I'm not really sure, but I think strong acids doesn't belong because all other terms help to define dissociation constant??

Most likely that's what the expected answer, but dissociation constants exists for ALL acids, they are just huge for strong acids and small for weak ones.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links