April 19, 2024, 04:28:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Determining Solubilty Question  (Read 3094 times)

Offline skull

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Determining Solubilty Question
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »
Question:
6.5 grams of TlCl (thallous chloride) is added to 0.75L of water at room temperature to determine Ksp. some of the thallous chloride does not dissolve, and the solution is declared saturated. A 0.4L sample is decanted off and evaporated to dryness, The weight of the remaining thallous chloride is 1.2 grams. Determine the solubility of thallous chloride, aswell as the Ksp.

To determine solubility, I assumed that the first part of the experiment is irrelevant (the part where excess TlCl is added to 750 mL). The sample that was decanted off was saturated, so therfore no more TlCl could be dissolved. I then calculated the concentation and determined tha amount that could be dissolved in 1 litre (0.0125 mol/L according to my calculations). I then squared this value to get Ksp (according to the Ksp expression since it equals x2) My answer turned out to be 1.56x10-4. However, when I checked with,
http://www.ktf-split.hr/periodni/en/abc/kpt.html
it shows a different value. Can anyone see where i went wrong?
thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Determining Solubilty Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 03:10:10 AM »
Your calculations are correct. Can't access Croatian page you have mentioned atm, my sources give pKso as 3.7 - close. Don't bother with the difference.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline skull

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Determining Solubilty Question
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 07:09:01 PM »
Thanks!
The source that I mentioned gives a Ksp value of 1.86x10-4 for TlCl, which is close enough I guess.

Sponsored Links