1. Based on Molecular orbital theory, the bond order of the O-O bond in the O2+ ion is ______ and the ion is _____.
A) 1/2 paramagnetic B) 1/2, diamagnetic C) 2 1/2, paramagnetic D) 2 1/2 diamagnetic
2. Calculate the electron affinity for the formation of the hydride ion from the following information:
H(g) + e- -> H- (g) ?
1/2H2(g) -> H(g) 217.9 kj/mol
Na(s) -> Na(g) 107.3 kj/mol
Na(g) -> Na+(g) + e- 495.8 Kj/mol
Na(s) + 1/2H2(g) -> NaH(s) -60 Kj/mol
NaH(s) -> Na+ (g) + H-(g) +810kj/mol
A) -70.1 kj/mol B) -50.1 kj/mol C) -1632 Kj/mol D) -816 kj/mol
3. A 255 mL round-bottom flask is weighed and found to have a mass of 114.85 g. A few milliliters of an easily vaporized liquid are added to the flask and the flask is immersed in a boiling water bath. All of the liquid vaporizes at the boiling temperature of water, filling the flask with vapor. When allof the liquid has vaporized, the flask is removed from the bath, cooled, dried, and reweighed. The new mass of the flask and the condensed vapor is 115.23 g. Which of the following compounds could the liquid be? (Assume the ambient pressure of 1 atm.)
A) C4H10 B)C3H7OH C)C2H6 D)C2H5OH
4. The reaction below is used to produce methanol:
CO(g) + 2H2(g) -> CH3OH (g) Change of Hrnx = -128 kj
Calculate the C-H bond energy give the following data:
C triple bond O 1072 kj/mol
H single bond H 436 kj/mol
C single bond O 358 kj/mol
O single H 463 kj/mol
A) 417 B)1251 C)815 D)272
I think I know what I did wrong now . . . I think I left the answer in Kj/mol when it was just actually asking for the answer in Kj (energy). . . not sure though
5. What type of bond produces a charge cloud with a nodal plane containing the bond axis?
a) sigma b) pi c)sigma antibonding d) pi antibonding
6.Carol and Joe have a brother named Mike, Mike has a trantula that keeps getting loose. Carol and Joe decide to rid themselves of the creature once and for all by sending it for a ride with a helium balloon. The spider weighs 3 oz and we ignore the weight of the balloon itself. If we assume STP and that 4.0 g of He gas will lift 6.0 g of matter, what must the volume (in L) of their balloon filled with He be to send Mr. Tarantual for a ride? (1 oz = 28.35g)
A) 22.4 B) 227140 C) 317.7 D)53.16.