April 28, 2024, 12:55:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Caffiene Extraction?  (Read 6025 times)

Offline mardybum

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Caffiene Extraction?
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:53:42 PM »
Hey all. I just recently did a simple a/b extraction, and quite enjoyed it. I wanted to pursue my enjoyment in chemistry and thought a caffiene extraction could be another simple procedure to do. I don't want to decaffinate the beans or leaves, but instead want to pull out the pure caffeine from them. Problem is, I can't find very much info on it. Would anyone be able to link me to a tutorial on it or give me some info on how it's done. I found two tutorials, one on getting pure caffeine, the other on decaffinating beans, but I like to read through a couple of techniques to get the general idea. Also, could you guys reccomend some other simple extractions I could do?

From the one pure caffiene extraction tutorial, (first result on google from "caffeien extraction"), it seems pretty straight forward, but, I have a few questions. What are these compounds? Can they be aquired easily: "1 M Na2CO3 solution", "1,1,1 - trichloroethane" and "Na2SO4 crystals".

Thanks for any help, much appreciated.  ;D

allanf

Re: Caffiene Extraction?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:09:49 PM »
Na2CO3 is sodium carbonate, its sometimes known as washing soda
Na2SO4 is sodium sulfate is a drying agent, sometimes called glauber's salt
You should be able to find both those around, they're fairly common, as for the solvent, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, I believe its been banned from use as it eats a hole in the ozone layer, you could probably substitute chloroform or DCM (dichloromethane) and would work about the same.

I heard a while ago that you can extract caffeine from coffee grounds by using concentrated ethanol, and then purify the caffeine by sublimation, but I'm not sure.

allanf

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
I did a quick google and turned up this rather straight-forward example of an extraction (from tea) and purification:
http://www.pharmainfo.net/exclusive/technical/extraction_of_caffeine_from_tea_leaves/

hope it helps

Offline mardybum

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 12:12:45 AM »
Awesome  :D, thanks alot, that procedure looks great.  ;D

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 02:27:06 AM »
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=7094.0

Here's an old post with links to some more procedures for extracting caffeine from tea leaves.

Offline mardybum

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 02:46:29 AM »
Thanks YGG!  ;)

Would a solvent that evaps clean like shellite or white spirits also be suitable?

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 03:00:05 AM »
Shellite and white spirits would probably be too nonpolar to extract the caffeine from the aqueous phase.  You need a fairly polar organic solvent.  I used 1-propanol.  Other good choices would include dichloromethane/methylene chloride, acetone, ethyl acetate, or 2-propanol/isopropyl alcohol.

Sponsored Links