April 28, 2024, 10:34:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is Ptaquiloside (The Carcinogen is Bracken Fern) carcinogenic when smoked?  (Read 4486 times)

Offline Cereberus1983

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am currently writing an essay on the carcinogenic properties of the bracken fern, which is abundant in the region around my university (NNMU). I have researched in great detail the carcinogenic properties of the fern when consumed orally or administered intravenously, I have however been unable to find any conclusive information regarding its carcinogenic potency, or lack thereof when smoked. Any information, links, or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
I do not think this web article has the answer but it will give an idea as to the situation with this plant for the rest of the readers here

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ptq/ptqh.htm

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
This topic may have been better located in biochemistry.

In any case one would have to know if the active agent is destroyed when burning happens. If not it is likely that the compound would enter the bloodstream very fast and have a more immediate effect. That is typical of many other compounds.
Nicotine comes to mind.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
That is probably hard to say.  If the carcinogenic components make it through the combustion, then they will still certainly be carcinogenic when absorbed via the smoke.  Generally, smoking is a very efficient way to absorb molecules into the body because there are few chemical degradation process like the ones you get in the stomach with compounds you eat.

The other complicating factor is that you always get other carcinogenic compounds as a result of combustion.  Some of these byproducts are extremely potent DNA intercalators, so it can be difficult to tell which compounds are responsible for the carcinogenic effects.

Offline Cereberus1983

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thanks for the responses guys...they were helpful..leme know if u find out anything else

Sponsored Links