April 18, 2024, 04:41:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why do you feel the wind?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline clumsy_panda

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why do you feel the wind?
« on: April 10, 2007, 01:18:46 AM »
I need to explain why you feel the wind using deviations in ideal behavior by real gases.  I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it's correct.  I think that we feel the wind because real gas molecules do not necessarily have a negligible volume and so when there is a large group of gas molecules, you would feel it if it blew past you.  As for why the gas molecules would move  in one large group like that, I know wind is caused by differences in pressure, so do those differences in pressure have to do with the van der waals equation at all?  ???

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re: Why do you feel the wind?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »
I think that we feel the wind because real gas molecules do not necessarily have a negligible volume and so when there is a large group of gas molecules, you would feel it if it blew past you.

Sounds good to me

As for why the gas molecules would move  in one large group like that, I know wind is caused by differences in pressure, so do those differences in pressure have to do with the van der waals equation at all?

I think the "Why the wind blows" is probably more into the question than you need to go...but for the sake of answering your question ... the Van Der Waals equation doesn't govern motion between differences in pressure.  As for flow because of pressure differences....the difference between ideal vs. non-ideal is the friction that non-ideal gases undergo.  Ideal gases would have no friction of flow.

Offline clumsy_panda

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Why do you feel the wind?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 10:08:33 PM »
Thanks!  ;D

Sponsored Links