March 28, 2024, 02:52:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Are Ptaquiloside or Aristolochic acid carcinogenic when smoked?  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Cereberus1983

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I had originally posted this into organic chemistry, it was however suggested that i move it here. I have evolved it a little since then anyway so...
I am currently writing an essay on the carcinogenic properties of the bracken fern (amongst other plants), which is abundant in the region around my university (NNMU). I have researched in great detail the carcinogenic properties of the fern when consumed orally or administered intravenously, I have however been unable to find any conclusive information regarding its carcinogenic potency, or lack thereof when smoked. Ptaquiloside (The primary carcinogenic constituent) is a glucoside if that helps. Id also like to apply the same question to Aristolochic acid. Help with either question or any related information, links, or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Are Ptaquiloside or Aristolochic acid carcinogenic when smoked?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 07:44:19 PM »
Are MSDS available for the compounds you are investigating?  An MSDS will normally contain some measure of how carcinogenic a compound is (usually under toxicological information).  See the sidebar on the left for the "Search MSDS" link.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Are Ptaquiloside or Aristolochic acid carcinogenic when smoked?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »
So as not to reinvent some answers here is the pervious posts

This one was answered
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=13869.msg64055#msg64055

This one was locked as a cross-post
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=13872.msg64028#msg64028

Sponsored Links