April 27, 2024, 04:27:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Quick Question - What is a 20-volume solution?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Oxide

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Quick Question - What is a 20-volume solution?
« on: April 15, 2007, 07:03:02 AM »
Hi there, I am realy stuck and cant find the answer anywhere... I am planning a titration is order to find the concentration of a 20-volume solution. Its only a plan and we are not actualy doing the experiment. In my plan I will have to include a method and made-up values to use as my titre. Can someone suggest what the actual concentration of a 20-volume so that I can plan what concentration of MnO4- to use and what my titre will be. Thanks. If you need more explaining let me know.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:17:25 AM by Oxide »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Solution of what?

I happen to know/guess that you can refer to the hydrogen peroxide, but it won't hurt to put this information explicit in your question.  You need to find out what 20-volume means and you need to write down reaction equation. Then it is simple stoichiometry.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Oxide

Thanks for the fast reply. I am trying to fing the concentration of a 20-volums solution of H2O2 by a titration method... I am going to be using potassium permanganate. I plan to take 25cm3 of the H2O2 and dilute by a factor of 10. I am unsure what concentration of permanganate to use... Too much and there will be a small titre and too little will mean a large titre.
Basicaly I need to know what 20-volume means. I have no clue. Does it refer to the moles/ concentration or what?
Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Quick Question - What is a 20-volume solution?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:00:54 PM »
Sorry, but I can't be of help here. It has something to do with the voulme of oxygen produced during decomposition.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Oxide

Re: Quick Question - What is a 20-volume solution?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 01:03:20 PM »
I read that its a 6g of H2O2 in 100cm3 of water. From this i think i could calculate a concentration. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links