April 28, 2024, 05:01:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dichloromethane as solvent for fat  (Read 9576 times)

Offline GoldShadow

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dichloromethane as solvent for fat
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »
Recently I performed a simple experiment, extracting fat from commercial potato chip brands. We used dichloromethane as solvent to dissolve the fat and extract it by distillation.

However I don't really understand why dichloromethane is a good solvent for fat/lipids. Dichloromethane is CH2Cl2, which means it has a tetrahedral structure right? This means it must be polar.  But fats/lipids are nonpolar.  Why then does dichloromethane dissolve lipids?

edit: Well I decided to look at the electronegativities for each of the atoms involved... is it because the differences in electronegativity in the C-Cl and C-H bonds is not great enough to make it a significantly polar molecule?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:31:31 PM by GoldShadow »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Dichloromethane as solvent for fat
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »
Yes, while DCM does indeed have a dipole moment, it is not a large one, and has a relatively (eg to water) low polarity.

You may find this interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvent#Properties_table_of_common_solvents
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: Dichloromethane as solvent for fat
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 12:26:23 PM »
Dear Dan,

At ?our? times, we had to learn the old wisdom of Alchemists called:
                               “Similia Similibus Solvuntur
- and I’m sure they were already trained in a ‘similar’ Way.

Translated to “New-German”:
                               “like dissolves like”        (I was able to find.)
But probably a little more correct:
                               “like dissolves similar

Today, most believe that polarity is sufficient enough to be the cause for.
I’m still believe, there are others too, like the molecule-size (in Chemistry sense), and/or ….

But CH2Cl2 is by Definition NOT very polar at all, as the angel build by Cl-C-Cl is significant larger as
the regular 109° angel of the ideal Tetrahedron.
(Maybe somebody knows/spends the exact value.)

Quintessence
The centres of contrary Charge are much closer together as most think, with the result of a very “week” polarity, quite close to CCl4, the incarnation of NON-Polarity.
(“closer together”: in relation to what?)
That’s precisely the cause, why you have to replace the very poison, carcinogen CCl4 with “your” CH2Cl2, because its quite: - smaller danger and  - very similar qualities, where ever possible!

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 12:32:49 PM by ARGOS++ »

Sponsored Links