April 27, 2024, 12:05:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: My summer options  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Cheemistree8889

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
My summer options
« on: April 20, 2007, 09:54:38 PM »
I'm a 2nd year undergraduate student and I have two options for work this summer.  First I could work for a private company that specializes in synthesizing organic compounds, or I could do reseach for an organic chemist at a university.  I was wondering what would "look" better on a graduate school application?  Also I don't know how much responsibiliy I would be given at either place (personally I want the most I can get) and the university doesn't have very good chemistry graduate progam (I don't know if this really matters).  Any thoughts of what would be a better experience for me?

Offline kristo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: My summer options
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 11:47:12 AM »
I would say take the research option with the school. I think it offers more advantages. You get research experience, lab experience, you'll be introduced to new techniques. Plus you will see what graduate school will have to offer and what you are in for. At the private company I think they would likely place you in one particular position and you may not learn as much. As far as how either will look on a grad app, I think they would both look good, they will both show that you have some quality experience.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »
If you want to go to grad school, I would say research at your university.  Research experience is very important for getting into grad school (and trying out research in an academic environment is a very good way to learn about what going to grad school is like).  Ideally, as an undergrad preparing for grad school, you should be doing research throughout your 3rd and 4th years in school.  Doing research at your school in the summer could be a good way of beginning a research project for a possible senior thesis.

However, note that I am a little biased.  I plan to go into academia and have never really worked in industry.

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-3
  • Surface Modification
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 02:39:30 PM »
From what i've heard, you will get more experience if you stay with your University, if you go into industry, you are more likely to be assigned to routine tasks so that you "don't break anything".  Some of my friends spent the entire summer making Fanta in a Coca-Cola factory in Belgium by weighing out sugar into water.  At my Dad's lab, the undergrad temps that go there just spend time measuring out thousands of samples.  Personally i'm doing Biological Inorganic Chemistry research this summer, really looking forward to it.

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »
It's important to do so at your current university.  It has many advantages, as mentioned by the others, along with building a close work relationship with a professor.  A relationship you'll have to maintain for the better part of 2-5 years during graduate study, depending on the length of study and type of degree you'll want.

Many "old school" techniques can be taught by the old farts at your university (don't call them that though  :P).  I would suggest a more tenured, more prominent professor to do research with.  They have strong reputations, are more willing to provide you with what you need, and most importantly, are very willing to guide you.

Much of a student's creativity and application of chemical knowledge comes from experience with a professor at the undergraduate level. 

Don't be afraid to come in on hours other than those scheduled, if your professor doesn't mind.  My project is finished for this semester, but I will certainly come and visit during the summer and continue my work, since I'm already taking some summer classes anyway.  Core curriculum...who needs it?  ::)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:25:28 PM »
I would think it depends on your goal.
If you are going for advanced degrees it might be better to work in academia.
If you are looking for immediate employment upon graduation you might want work experience. I have heard of people getting hired right out of college by the company that had them as an intern.

Sponsored Links