April 26, 2024, 01:18:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: writing formulas for compounds.confused about the order & "ate" & "ade"e  (Read 5634 times)

Offline bmack

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am trying to write out the name and formula for different compounds.

For example Calcium Oxide is Ca O.

How do I decipher when it should end it " ide" and not " ate"?  I was told that if there are two that the the more metallic element comes first followed by the less metallic...then that is " ide" and s compound ending in " ate" contains Oxygen and two or more elements...huh ??? I am not processing this info  correctly because I thought oxide should end with " ate"

Then there is MgS  I wrote this out as magnesium sulfide ?! Is this correct?

Please help I would truly appreciate it.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
In ionic compounds you will have a cation and an anion.  For the cations, if the cation is a single atom (e.g. Ca2+, Na+, Al3+) then the cation will just be the name of the atom.  A polyatomic cation (e.g. NH4+) will have a "-ium" ending (e.g. ammonium, guanidinium, hydronium, etc.).

For anions there is a similar scheme.  Anions which consist of a single atom will have an "-ide" ending (e.g. S2- = sulfide, Cl- = chloride).  Polyatomic atoms will generally have an "-ate" ending (e.g. SO42- = sulfate, CH3COO- = acetate) although there are special rules for naming oxyanions.

Offline bmack

I truly appreciate your help. However I am almost certain that you confused me more.  ??? I really do not understand :(

I think I get it! NO3 is Nitrate because there are 3 oxygens in the compound, and so it should end in "ate" ???

I know I am hella slow...sorry but I truly appreciate your help I really, really do.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 03:18:29 PM by bmack »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
There really isn't a good way to explain how the number of oxygens determines the suffix on your anion's name.  Nitrate (NO32-) has three oxygens as does chlorate (ClO3-) but both phosphate (PO43-) and sulfate (SO42-) have four oxygens.

The best answer I can tell you is that you have to memorize the names polyatomic anions which end in -ate.  Unfortunately, there is no systematic relationship between number of oxygens in the anion and its name.  However, once you know that chlorate is ClO3-, you can find the structures of chlorite, hypochlorite, and perchlorate by following the rules outlined in the wikipedia page I posted earlier.

Offline bmack

My initial question was how to determine what ends in "ide" and what ends in "ate". So the reason that chlorate (ClO3-) , phosphate (PO43-) and sulfate (SO42-)  end in " ate" is because they contain oxygen right!

two or more elements that contain oxygen end in "ate" I just need to know if this is correct? I think I am on the right path however, I may not be asking the question correctly.

I am not saying that the number of oxygens determine the suffix, I am saying the fact that the compound includes oxygen is the reason it ends in "ate" ...isnt that true. It seems that it is. I just want to confirm.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:12:51 PM by bmack »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Physical Biochemist
In that case yes.  Anions which end in -ide contain only one atom (sulfide = S2-, chloride = Cl-).  Anions which end in -ate, have oxygen (sulfate = SO42-, chlorate = ClO3-).

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Anions which end in -ide contain only one atom (sulfide = S2-, chloride = Cl-)

With some exceptions unfortunately. Like cyanide...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links