April 16, 2024, 02:26:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction rates  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Aerlinn

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction rates
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:05:12 AM »
 was wondering, with acid reactions such as, say...
acid + metal ---> salt + H2
or acid + metal carbonate ---> salt + CO2 + H20
How would you measure the rate of these types of reactions?

I can think of some, like measuring the volume of gas evolved over time, or measuring loss of mass over time (as gases escape)... is there anything else?
I know there are several things you can measure to find out rate, like colour changes, pH/acidity... does any of these apply to these reaction types/ how would you carry out these measurements?

And just out of curiosity, do these types of reactions have a equilibrium position that's mostly to the right? I know they'd probably reach completion in an open system, but when you have a closed one where you don't have gas being removed, they frequently have large K values, right?

Are catalysts can be 'more' expensive than increasing temp, and these are relatively simple reactions? Once temp is increased, it would need to be kept constant to measure its affect on reaction rate, right (so... a water bath would be more suitable than, say, a bunsen burner?) ?
Would it be right to say that as these types of reactions progress, the concentration of the acid decreases over time (at the start of the reaction, you'd have a low pH till the end, where you'd have a high pH) ?
Since increased surface area increases reaction rate, is it possible to obtain metal powders?
And a higher concentration of an acid added would result in a higher reaction rate than a lower concentration of the acid?
Just needed a little bit of clarification :)

Some help really soon would be greatly appreciated! :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:37:44 AM by Aerlinn »

Sponsored Links