April 26, 2024, 10:55:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Saturation Test  (Read 8512 times)

HHWN

Saturation Test
« on: April 20, 2006, 10:17:20 AM »
I am on my intern and assigned an small experiment which is saturation. I will do the hydrolysis to obtain the acid. I have to do the saturation test on that acid. Saturation test will be in water, water+KOH and water+ADMA(amine base). How should I set up the experiment.

PS: It is very difficult to dry the acid. So, my acid obtained will be in water. How can I perform the saturation test in this situation. Thanks!!!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Saturation Test
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:33:25 AM »
What is saturation test? Is my English failing me again?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

HHWN

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 01:15:30 PM »
What I am suppose to do is that put the acid to the water and wait until the solution gets saturated on different temperature. Does it make sense to you?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 01:19:17 PM »
OK, although for me that's solubility rather than saturation :)

First of all - you must dry the acid as good as possible, as you have to weight it.

You may try to pour known amount of solution on known amount of acid, wait till it dissolves (stirring will help) and then filtrate what is left, dry filtrate and weight it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 01:21:53 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

HHWN

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 01:31:24 PM »
 ;D I understan the solubility but not quite clear about the saturation. To my understanding, saturation is based on solubility. Is it true? Is there any way to test the saturation? One more problem, it is quite difficult for me to dry the acid product. Thanks for your help.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 01:59:43 PM »
Saturated solution contains as much dissolved substance as it is possible. You will not find tables of "saturation" but tables of solubilties.

Without drying the acid whole procedure becomes more complicated - unless you can determine acid in the solution by some other means (titration? spectrometry?) - if so, you can concentrate not on solid, but on dissolved substance - but it will be probably not much easier than drying ;)

How are you going to deterime amount of acid in the solution or in the solid?

Sponsored Links