April 19, 2024, 11:11:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Methylating tBoc Protected L-Proline Followed by Reduction to Alcohol  (Read 14552 times)

Offline alphahydroxy

• Mole Snacks: +7/-6
  • I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK !
I regularly Boc/Methyl protect serine using the folowing conditions:

Acetyl chloride (~3eqv) added dropwise to serine in methanol, then reflux. Vac down to a white fluffy solid.

Suspend in dry THF, Add Boc2O in THF dropwise over 1 hour, then reflux. Vac down to give around 95% over the two steps

dunno if this will work as well for the more hindered proline, but doesn't seem too far off...

Offline Wisemanleo

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Architect
but how are you esterifing your amino acids? if you are using AcCl/SOCl2/TMSCl etc in methanol you have HCl around. if you are using Cs2CO3/ MeI/ DMF then extraction is probably the issue; you can wash DMF out better with dilute LiCl (5%) than water if this is the case

Well, while I was looking for the Cs2CO3/ MeI/ DMF literature, I came across an efficient & mild prep for esterification that used KOH, DMSO, and Me-I. But I didn't find the yield to be too great, even though the literature reported upwards of 95%. However, the paper was meant for aliphatic and aromatic carboxylic acids. So I finally found another prep that used exactly my substrate for methylation, and used similar conditions to the KOH/DMSO/MeI, however the reaction time was 10 hours as opposed to 2 hours that I had done.
Scientia est potentia.

Offline kiwi

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-0
ah those sound like pretty good conditions too, presuming you don't see racemisation with your substrate. this week i tried a Cs2CO3-mediated reaction (a phenol etherification - same principle) but with catalytic Cs2CO3 (1:9 Cs2CO3/K2CO3) - it flew along just like a stoichometric Cs2CO3 example. so there is another option that cuts back on Cs use

Offline adain

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Methylating tBoc Protected L-Proline Followed by Reduction to Alcohol
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »
sounds so delicious! Thanks

Offline fanxy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
Maybe you can try adding some lewis acid such as AlCl3 to NaBH4.
Ive got a great yield in this type reactions .

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »
The alpha N may activate the ester enough to reduce it with NaBH4, that's certainly not unusual with alpha hydroxy esters, and I've had a TfOH salt of a proline related ester that did go with 5 eq of NaBH4 in EtOH. Altenatively, I found a good prep a while back for reducing unactivated esters with NaBH4 using refluxing t-BuOH or THF with slow addition of methanol:

Soai, K.; Oyamada, H.; Takase, M.; Ookawa, A. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn. 1984, 57,
1948–1953.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links