April 23, 2024, 05:44:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Deprotection / hydrolysis of pinacol boronic esters  (Read 13403 times)

Offline Random Coils

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Deprotection / hydrolysis of pinacol boronic esters
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:13:13 PM »
I'm looking for good references or procedures by which to hydrolyze a pinacol protected phenylboronic acid.  I need to obtain the free boronic acid (PhB(OH2)), but I'm having trouble removing the pinacol.  I'm working with a polymer, and it is not water-soluble in its pinacol ester form.  Any ideas?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Deprotection / hydrolysis of pinacol boronic esters
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:48:10 AM »
I'm looking for good references or procedures by which to hydrolyze a pinacol protected phenylboronic acid.  I need to obtain the free boronic acid (PhB(OH2)), but I'm having trouble removing the pinacol.  I'm working with a polymer, and it is not water-soluble in its pinacol ester form.  Any ideas?

Some of the things I've looked at in the past (sorry, old project, don't have the refs to hand) included NaIO4 (sometimes buffered), treating with BCl3, heating with acetone. I'll see if I can find a reference or two in my folder...

S

Offline lavoisier

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-3
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
Re: Deprotection / hydrolysis of pinacol boronic esters
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:24:47 PM »

First, I would advise you to prepare a 'similar' non-polymer bound pinacol boronic ester and try the most obvious hydrolysis methods (such as the ones you can find in Greene's Protective Groups) on that. Then you can transfer the method to your more valuable material.

Second, from the literature one gets the impression that these esters are extremely hard to hydrolyse. Actually, I prepared some pinacol boronates from aryl halides and bis(pinacolato)diboron in dioxane with KOAc as the base, and in some cases the boronic ester spontaneously decomposed to the boronic acid, even in these extremely mild conditions.

I wouldn't start with boron halides and oxidizing agent. I'd try the simplest ones first, like THF/H2O/HCl or THF/H2O/KOH(or LiOH), at room temperature or at reflux if it doesn't work. Of course I'm assuming that your polymer will be soluble in some water-miscible organic solvent. If it isn't, everything becomes more complicated as you may guess...

Sponsored Links