April 16, 2024, 07:20:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What can one add to water to make it splash less (or more)?  (Read 5575 times)

Offline quizzical

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What can one add to water to make it splash less (or more)?
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:23:23 PM »
I was curious if anyone here knew of anything (non-toxic to humans) that could be added to water that would measurably decrease the amount water "splashes". (Obviously I would love any insight as to WHY said additive causes this phenomenon). Likewise for increasing the "splash" of water. Thank you in advance. Please let me know if I can be more specific.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: What can one add to water to make it splash less (or more)?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:58:59 PM »
You would modify the viscosity of the water.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity
A easy way to increase the viscosity of water is with polymers that are soluble in the water.

I am not sure if you could easily do this enough to make it noticeable to "play" without making the water appear greatly different.

Offline quizzical

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 11:39:58 PM »
Thank you very much for your response.

If I understood the article you referred to, temperature would be another way to modify the viscosity of water. (Water viscosity at 0 C is about 6 times what it is at 100 C). Also, I was hoping to keep the water looking like, well, water. A mixture that resembles corn starch (while fun) is not what I had hoped for. While quite possibly unrelated.. I was hoping for something more akin to adding salt to water to lower freezing point and raise the boiling point, while still having it "look" like water. Thanks again for your insight.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 07:50:19 PM »
Adding a good amount of glycerol to your water (20-30% v/v) would increase the viscosity of water.

Sponsored Links